• PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
Re: TRX
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 10:52:10 am »
Thanks for sharing. I like the paint scheme.  I wonder there are no Trx info on PC website.

hutch42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: Interested in the new Ford Transit Diesel models
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: New TRX
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2019, 03:45:41 pm »
As a big fan of the Ford Transit's, this is one of the best looking class C Transits out there.  Glad to see them not giving up on.

Hutch

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 07:08:28 am »
If all goes as planned, there will be a PC Transit at the Travel Club Reunion in Charleston in a few weeks. If you are not registered to attend but are near there, you might be able to arrange with Phoenix to stop by to see it. The last I heard there will be three new rigs there for at least three days of the reunion and one is expected to be the Transit. No guarantees- I assume that if they get an offer on the Transit then it will go to its new owners instead of coming to play in Charleston.

For those on our wait list, Phoenix isn't taking your spot by bringing three rigs. There were additional campsites open but we are already maxed out on the meeting room and day trip limits.

The PC Transit's debut is the Hershey RV show in PA this coming week.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 11:33:52 am »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 08:52:12 am »
If I were in the market, specifically for model 2100, I would surely consider the Transit option. It seems ideal for the application.

Model 2350 without a slide out works for us.  With our 2007 E350 chassis, our rig empty (with a full tank of fuel and propane) weighs 9,920 pounds.  With a GVWR of 11,500 pounds, we can add 1580 pounds of ourselves, on-board fresh water, and supplies.  Our typical load during trips is only a few hundred pounds less than max with all the weight we add resting on the rear axle.

A bare Transit chassis weighs less than an E350, but if weighed the same, a Transit version with a GVWR of 10,360 pounds, you have only 440 pounds to work with.  Two 220 pound adults alone would put it at it's limit.  I don't see Phoenix offering a Transit 2350 unless Ford increased it's GVWR.

Our 2007 2350 weighed empty, but with a full tank of gasoline and propane.

Wandering off topic a bit, here is our weight distribution.  With most of the weight we add resting behind the rear axle, the teeter-totter effect lightens the front axle such that our body weight up front adds even more to the rear axle weight.  It seems Phoenix should consider increasing the E-series wheel base to match the Sprinter version for much improved weight distribution and improved handling.  Changing the default chassis from the E350 to the E450 is a brute-force method to address the condition, but is still not right to me.  The E450 2350 is over-kill creating a very rough-riding rig.  My thoughts on a solution for that is "spring rate reduction" to fine-tune to the actual load.  It's a science if you desire to get it right.  As of late, I am giving "science" a try, though at a snail's pace.  First-up is reducing the spring rate up front, maybe followed with a small increase in back.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:25:20 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 12:36:21 pm »
Ron

GVWR on all of the Transit based RV's has been an issue.   Several like LTV Wonder and the Coach House III have less then 900 pounds of OCCC.  The Winnebago Fuses have been running 1200-1300 pounds OCCC with average options.  That gets used up pretty quick once you start filling water and stowing gear.  The Fuse 23F does have a 2350 like layout.       

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-Winnebago-Fuse-23F-5005286511

At this point its sort of a moot issue as production on the Fuse was halted in March of this year due to a number of reasons including a glut of RV's on dealers lots, and the all new 2020 Ford Transit which has major changes such as increased GVWR to 11,000 LBS (now equal to the Sprinter) All Wheel Drive on certain models. and all new engine options.  Winnebago has committed to a new Class C and B models using the new chassis.  However I have the feeling that the OCCC on the new models wont change much.

My assumptions are that PC will also be able to utilize the new Transit.

Hutch

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 04:11:33 pm »
Interesting Hutch.

I hope Phoenix will offer that higher GVWR Fuse-based 2350 in the future.  Given we have comfortably vacationed in our slide-less 2350 since 2007, I can say with confidence that it is a practical floor plan as long as seekers get over it being slide-less.  A 400 pound slide-out is just too big a weight-gain where the pounds would still be closely counted.

No fresh water, no people, no gear, the rear end of that lower GVWR version already sags as shown in the one picture here.

FWIW: That boxy Winnebago Fuse 23F does not have the appeal of a Phoenix, but it's $85,000 sale price is intriguing.  It would be interesting to see how the price of an equivalent Phoenix 2350 would compare.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:43:39 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 06:39:16 pm »
A personal thing....I wished they did something new with the front grille.  I never liked the industrial look that has been around since 2008.

I find it interesting about the 7.3 liter pushrod engine.  More HP & Torque, a bigger power band, and less noise.  I wonder about fuel economy.

I wonder about all this 7.3 stuff also.   Really... Noise reduction?  How about HP and TQ ratings?  Not much different than the V10, (especially the 30 valve version in the F53). AND... what about the MPG?  Power requires fuel.   HP and TQ are not that impressive compared to the V10.  (Especially if turned with 5-Star) .

Just saying.

Denny and Barb.
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

RonJ

• Looking forward to being a PC owner
    • View Profile
  • Model: 2910
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2019, 11:46:59 am »
There were two Transits at the Hershey RV show this week.  One was marked as SOLD.  I didn't see any prices.

RonJ

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2019, 02:48:35 pm »
Any floor plans for new TRX

RonJ

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 03:56:59 pm »
The one I was able to look into had two singles.  No slides.  I was told they are hoping to utilize the larger Transit soon and have the ability to have slides.
RonJ

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 04:28:38 pm »
Thanks for the update Ron.  I really like the outside color scheme.  I will be interested how it stacks up against my 2551 for capacity, handling and storage.  My 2551 is +1 in all those areas.

You have a great name! Looks like the Ron's are takin over!  ;)

Ron S

RonJ

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 09:27:36 pm »
Ahhh...look what I found in my pile of stuff from the show.  I didn't even know I had it.
RonJ

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 01:42:53 am »
IMHO the diesel version should just about obsolete the 2100 if it’s around the same “factory direct” price. The first article 2019 TRX (gas) was listed for $99k, not the  new $142k CW  of  Tampa price. The RVT listing indicates a gasoline engine with propane generator  (WH)

Can’t really see how Phoenix could  justify a Transit 235O or 2400 since they already build them on the popular  Sprinter chassis, unless the revised Transit chassis and  drivetrain are far superior.

The new floorplan is a huge improvement over that PC 2300 throwback. Perhaps the short Transit wide body will fare better than the defunct longer Winnebago Fuse(s) and Forest River TS2390. The TS2380 and TS2370 models are still around for 2020 on the old chassis too.
Goin' where the wind goes...

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2019, 12:17:10 pm »
A FORD TRANSIT RV OBSERVATION.

I have belonged to three Transit owners forums for a while.  One for over three years.  I have come to realize that the Transit (and Sprinter) have created a totally new RV lifestyle.  Not your fathers (or us) perception of what RVing is/was about, but a whole new concept.  Current B owners disdain RV parks.  They never want to plug in. They very seldom will stay in one place for more then a night.  They want an RV that they can use for a daily driver.  They are minimalist's, tiny house people if you will.  And, they want to reduce their carbon footprint.  Currant B+ owners may not be so extreme, but do follow some of the same trends.

The buyers of the Transits tend to be first time RVer's.  For the true class B's as many as 85% are newbies.  For the B+'s like the Fuse and LTV wonder maybe 60% with many of the others downsizing.  They tend to not shop a particular brand, but the unit that has the most off grid features and technologies.  Many of the units come standard with sophisticated Firefly systems, induction cooking, compressor fridges, and some with no generators.

Ive found that trying to compare the Transit to a larger Ford chassis Class C or even Class A's is Apples to Oranges.  They are different, made to fit another lifestyle.  One that will not fit every ones needs.  However its opened up a whole new market for the manufacturers. One that is the only bright spot in an industry wide declining market.  Those makers that have jumped in with both feet on the Transit B's & B+'s will probably be successful.  Those that only dabble in, maybe not so much. 

IMHO