• NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: July 2019
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2004
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: White /blue swirls
Roof maintenance
« on: August 04, 2019, 06:35:17 pm »
Hello, So we bought TNCanuks 2004 2350. It is in very good condition and he did some great modifications. That my previous RV has a rubber roof, I learned about what happens when a roof is neglected. I am going to touch up the sealant on the seam where the front cap meets roof. But I don't know much about the fiberglass roof. I already did a search.  Do any of you ever use things like Dicor fiberglass roof coating? Or is just waxing it OK? Being a 2004 I want to be on top of things. Thanks for any suggestions.  The RV is not garaged, but winter storage is in a covered parking spot. The rest of the time it is in high altitude sun.

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Roof maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 06:58:03 pm »
I can only speak for my procedures on fiberglass roofs.

I have had 1 truck camper (rubber roof) and 3 RV's.  The first had a fiberglass roof, the 2nd a rubber roof and my current (PC 2551) is fiberglass.

My first fiberglass roofed RV I bought new and used for 9 years.   This one (the PC) I have had for 4 1/2 years.

Both are/were stored outdoors in Colorado, both at about 5,000 foot elevation.   I have done nothing to either fiberglass roof except clean it with denatured alcohol when I had a seam that needed recaulked.  Never had a roof leak, never saw any cracks or delaminations, etc.  One a year, I would wash the roof with just car wash.

Never waxed, never used a coating.  I would think waxing would be bad as wax is difficult to remove if you have to recaulk.

The rubber roofs needed much more maintenance.  I never coated either rubber roof, but with the RV rubber roof, after about 6 years, it was due for a good recoat job.  It had become dulled and scrubbing got a white powder off it.

So.. Just my opinion... Just clean it real well where you are going to recaulk, wash it once a year, and you are done.
Obviously, if a leak develops or you see an issue while washing... Take care of that.  Otherwise.. Leave it alone.

Your Mileage may Vary.
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 04:46:34 am »
Thanks for sharing the experience Donc13!   

My roof is wearing, and I was wondering how they did hold up. After washing and drying, In the sun, you can see the fiberglass 'hairs' in the FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) roof material. I was told this is a wear indicator, and that a protective coat would be a good idea.

I was considering a good topside paint in white. Maybe some grit thrown in for traction.

Do either of you have those shiny 'hairs' visible? Is it a concern?

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 07:31:17 am »
No I don't have those hairs showing.  But my roof is 9 years younger than your's is.
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:01:52 am »
No I don't have those hairs showing.  But my roof is 9 years younger than your's is.

tymote     tymote 

See what Skier 1985 says...his has 2 years head start on mine.  (exactly)

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 12:58:36 pm »
Thanks for the input. It’s in storage about an hr away. I will check for the hairs and get back to you. 

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 07:01:17 pm »
Ok, so now i have the cruiser here. Yes i can see the shiny threads. They are smooth. Except I forgot to wear a long sleeve shirt when leaning on the stuff and now I have fiberglass arm.
    I looked at the seam on the roof where the cap meets the roof. Some of the caulking is old and cracked. I can actually peel it up and see under that rubber/plastic  strip  that covers the metal strip and screws. All the metal looks good and shiny. No crud. There is no evidence of leakage. But I can actually see the edge of the fiberglass and it is not under any metal or anything. I dont know if I should use Dicor caulking or Eternabond. Any suggestions?? I dont like how I can actually see and move (slightly) the actually fiberglass. At least we dont get much rain where I am. Thanks for any help you have to offer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:56:10 am by Skier1985 »

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »
Pictures?  :-D  and you must have a demon in your autocorrect.  roflol

I would be somewhat anxious in your position also. I communicated on FB with someone that had a similar problem.

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 02:58:09 pm »
Dicor works fine for me, anytime I see cracks I clean and caulk with Dicor.

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 06:37:20 pm »
Thanks, I have tried to post pics but failed. I need to figure out how to shrink my file size when using my iPad.
     SO, I cleaned with denatured alcohol then used dicor. We’ll see how it holds up.  The roof is pretty sunbaked. By the time I was finished my pants and me were covered with tiny fiberglass fibers. Ya.... thats pleasant.  Once the dicor is all cured I will give the roof a good wash.
    Next, i will try and figure out how to post pics. We are looking forward to taking a good trip with our new to us Rv later next week. It will be so nice not to crawl out of an overhead bunk.

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 07:45:30 pm »
Thanks, I have tried to post pics but failed. I need to figure out how to shrink my file size when using my iPad.
     SO, I cleaned with denatured alcohol then used dicor. We’ll see how it holds up.  The roof is pretty sunbaked. By the time I was finished my pants and me were covered with tiny fiberglass fibers. Ya.... thats pleasant.  Once the dicor is all cured I will give the roof a good wash.
    Next, i will try and figure out how to post pics. We are looking forward to taking a good trip with our new to us Rv later next week. It will be so nice not to crawl out of an overhead bunk.

Kinda off topic, but I cant tell how many times I have tried to post pictures and got the notice that "they" were too large.

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 12:26:58 pm »
Yo Skier1985 -

You on FB?  Rob Dalton on the PC page there shared a video of his roof seam, sounds like your problem.

EDIT - LUCKY YOU!  He is a member here also. Said he may post some of the pics . They are eye-opening.  :beg
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:36:11 pm by Volkemon »

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 01:41:15 pm »
Hey Thanks!  I would love to see the pics.. Funny , when people look at older Rvs they always ask “hows it run?”   the big engines in these things are usually the least of concern. ITS THE ROOF!!!! What a hard life it has if it is not garaged or covered.  Oh, yes I am on facebook