• PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Drivers power seat
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:25 am »
Well, I guess the resolution would be to call them.  Airbags in the steering wheel and passenger dash are designed with the driver or passenger sitting in a certain geometry.  That's why vehicles have the ability to turn off the passenger airbag.   With smaller, and even taller people, the airbag itself can do more harm than just using the shoulder/lap seat belts.

However, your interpretation may be correct and mine wrong.   I would suggest anyone considering one of those swivels ask the manufacturer exactly what that "approval" is for.
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 01:04:26 pm »
Well, I guess the resolution would be to call them.  Airbags in the steering wheel and passenger dash are designed with the driver or passenger sitting in a certain geometry.  That's why vehicles have the ability to turn off the passenger airbag.   With smaller, and even taller people, the airbag itself can do more harm than just using the shoulder/lap seat belts.

However, your interpretation may be correct and mine wrong.   I would suggest anyone considering one of those swivels ask the manufacturer exactly what that "approval" is for.

Suppose you could call as a precaution, but past and current use of a swivel in an airbag protected location would have me thinking 'They wrote what they meant'. 

But hey... I am 'That Guy'   so I called.   roflol  According to the person answering their phone, who did not state their name, the DMV in Arizona (their home state) has a rule that says vehicles under 8000# GVWR may not have swiveling seats in airbag equipped positions.  But then he said that the DOT rule they have in the ad supports that...and it doesnt. They state ""Tested to Comply with DOT FMVSS 207 Safety Standards per sections S4.2, S4.3.""

Well...   here is that code.  https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.207   

Excerpted for your reading pleasure, the referenced sections and subsections -  :lol

S4.2. General performance requirements. When tested in accordance with S5, each occupant seat shall withstand the following forces, in newtons, except for: a side-facing seat; a passenger seat on a bus other than a school bus; a passenger seat on a school bus with a GVWR greater than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); and, a passenger seat on a school bus with a GVWR less than or equal to 4,536 kg manufactured before October 21, 2011.

(a) In any position to which it can be adjusted - 20 times the mass of the seat in kilograms multiplied by 9.8 applied in a forward longitudinal direction;

(b) In any position to which it can be adjusted - 20 times the mass of the seat in kilograms multiplied by 9.8 applied in a rearward longitudinal direction;

(c) For a seat belt assembly attached to the seat - the force specified in paragraph (a), if it is a forward facing seat, or paragraph (b), if it is a rearward facing seat, in each case applied simultaneously with the forces imposed on the seat by the seat belt assembly when it is loaded in accordance with S4.2 of 571.210; and

(d) In its rearmost position - a force that produces a 373 newton meters moment about the seating reference point for each designated seating position that the seat provides, applied to the upper cross-member of the seat back or the upper seat back, in a rearward longitudinal direction for forward-facing seats and in a forward longitudinal direction for rearward-facing seats.

S4.2.1 Seat adjustment. Except for vertical movement of nonlocking suspension type occupant seats in trucks or buses, each seat shall remain in its adjusted position when tested in accordance with the test procedures specified in S5.

S4.3. Restraining device for hinged or folding seats or seat backs. Except for a passenger seat in a bus or a seat having a back that is adjustable only for the comfort of its occupants, a hinged or folding occupant seat or occupant seat back shall -

(a) Be equipped with a self-locking device for restraining the hinged or folding seat or seat back, and

(b) If there are any designated seating positions or auxiliary seating accommodations behind the seat, either immediately to the rear or to the sides, be equipped with a control for releasing that restraining device.

S4.3.1 Accessibility of release control. If there is a designated seating position immediately behind a seat equipped with a restraining device, the control for releasing the device shall be readily accessible to the occupant of the seat equipped with the device and, if access to the control is required in order to exit from the vehicle, to the occupant of the designated seating position immediately behind the seat.

S4.3.2 Performance of restraining device.

S4.3.2.1 Static force.

(a) Once engaged, the restraining device for a forward-facing seat shall not release or fail when a forward longitudinal force, in newtons, equal to 20 times the mass of the hinged or folding portion of the seat in kilograms multiplied by 9.8 is applied through the center of gravity of that portion of the seat.

(b) Once engaged, the restraining device for a rearward-facing seat shall not release or fail when a rearward longitudinal force, in newtons, equal to 8 times the mass of the hinged or folding portion of the seat in kilograms multiplied by 9.8 is applied through the center of gravity of that portion of the seat.

S4.3.2.2 Acceleration. Once engaged, the restraining device shall not release or fail when the device is subjected to an acceleration of 20 g., in the longitudinal direction opposite to that in which the seat folds.

But he then went on to say 'We install them ALL THE TIME- HUNDREDS OF THEM  :beg in cars. He said the rule was from 1999 and a formality.  (WH)   

But hey, maybe its an Arizona law... so I went to   section 28 of Arizona law, all things transportation.  2o2

https://www.azleg.gov/arsDetail/?title=28

Article 16 would be our relevant chapter that the friendly officer would be looking at to ticket me for the swivel...

This link says WHO the rules apply to, pretty much everyone. No RV exception.   (Basically LEO and Farm exemption, thats all!)
https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00921.htm

There's a helluva list there, detailing about everything used on a vehicle. Mirrors, wipers, lights, gas cap (!) ... you name it. No mention of Swivel...or airbag.  Or any regulation on seats at all.

28-922
Lighted lamps required
28-923
Visibility distance; mounted height of lamps
28-924
Motor vehicle head lamps
28-925
Tail lamps
28-926
New motor vehicles; reflectors
28-927
Stop lamps; peace officers; warnings
28-928
Applicability of lighting laws
28-929
Additional lighting equipment required on certain vehicles
28-930
School bus lighting equipment; standards and specifications
28-931
Lamp colors
28-932
Reflector and lamp mountings
28-933
Reflector and lamp visibility
28-934
Obstructed lights not required
28-935
Lamp or flag on projecting load
28-936
Lamps on parked vehicles
28-937
Lamps on other vehicles and equipment
28-938
Spot and auxiliary lamps
28-939
Signal lamps and devices
28-940
Additional lighting equipment
28-941
Multiple beam road lighting equipment arrangement
28-942
Multiple beam road lighting equipment usage
28-943
Single beam road lighting equipment
28-944
Lighting equipment on motor driven cycles
28-945
Alternate road lighting equipment
28-946
Number of driving lamps required or permitted
28-947
Special restrictions on lamps
28-948
Snow removal equipment lamps
28-949
Selling or using lamps
28-952
Required brake equipment
28-953
Brakes on all-terrain vehicles and motor driven cycles
28-954
Horns and warning devices
28-955
Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception
28-955.01
Motorcycles; noise level equipment; unauthorized equipment
28-955.02
Motorcycle noise level rules
28-955.03
Exemption for racing motorcycles; definition
28-955.04
Exhaust system; visual inspection; requirements; civil penalty
28-956
Mirrors
28-957
Windshield wipers required; golf cart exception
28-957.01
Windshields required
28-958
Tire equipment restrictions
28-958.01
Rear fender splash guards
28-959
Safety glass required; applicability; denial or suspension of registration; definition
28-959.01
Materials on windows or windshield; exceptions; requirements; violation; definitions
28-960
Flares; warning devices; requirements
28-961
Display of warning devices; disabled vehicle
28-962
Vehicles transporting explosives; rules
28-963
Image display device; prohibition; exceptions; definition
28-964
Motorcycles; all-terrain vehicles; motor driven cycles; equipment; exception
28-965
Fuel tank caps
28-966
Neighborhood electric vehicles; motorized quadricycles; speed; restrictions

I also searched the text of the original 1991 federal bill about airbags, swivels were not mentioned. Nor was rotate when applying to seats.
I invite you to find anything conflicting, but being that you can buy brand new vehicles, with swivel seats in airbag protected positions from Phoenix Cruiser as we breathe... My money is that it is 100% legal.  (Or we got one heck of a class action suit gonna happen, right?)

But hey,  you get a prize for playing.  :-D

'Wacky' Florida DOT codes for you... If it is raining, you MUST have headlights on.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.217.html

316.217.b

"During any rain, smoke, or fog."

There is NO law stating you must turn on wipers.  :beg They DO have to be present and work, but you do not have to use them.  An officer may issue a ticket for it, but the lack of an applicable law will have the case dismissed if you take it to court. If you do NOT take it to court, you must pay the stated fine.  I know this being an avid user of Rain-X.  I have been pulled over several times over the years during storms for 'non working wipers'. Valid guess by LEOs, it was a 1971 VW bus..  After demonstrating they work, usually I get to go. But a few LEOs feel OBLIGATED to write a ticket when they are standing in the rain next to you.  I then got it dismissed in court, and got told there was no avenue for 'compensating' me for the time because the officer wrote the ticket in accordance with 'common standards'.

It is also illegal to drive with the hazards on in the rain in Florida, unless you are in an active funeral procession. Wish they would ticket the morons that drive with hazards in the rain.......

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 04:21:31 pm »
Has anyone changed the drivers seat pedistool to one that can swivel to face the rear on the PC2100  l have  power seats  I would give up the power pedistool for a manual seat that can be turned toward the rear . Can it be done and has anyone done it  :help

Why not both? 
These swivel bases fit multiple bolt patterns,  The top listing has 14x11 and 11.5  patterns .

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvanseatbases/rvvanUniversalseatbases.htm

If yours dont match, for $30 more the second one listed can be drilled to fit 'whatevah' you have. 

They raise the seat ~ 1 1/2 inches, so make sure that leaves you enough headroom.  But this seems an easy solution to keep the power base and add swivel.
In our 2010 2551 there is a Restraint Control Module bolted to the floor under the drivers seat, and it looks like the wires to it are not long enough to allow for easy relocation of the module. It has a forward facing arrow so I guess it has something to do with collision safety features.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 08:36:11 am »
Our RV is in storage, but paid it a visit for review of the seats. Attached are a couple photos of the swivel passenger seat and how far it turns with the knee wall in the way.  (Slide was in and was dark so not the best, but my granddaughter serving as model is cute...or at least I think so.) We have an inflatable foot stool and it works great for us. I did look under the drivers seat and wires are such that you would have to give up the power seat to put in a swivel seat. Also realized that the front seats only have one armrest. When swiveled, it would be nice to have a second arm rest, but no room when facing forward.

In previous post I spoke of space problems in a 2100 compared to larger models. I should clarify...the larger the rig, the more places you have to shuffle stuff when parked (on the bed, in outside storage, etc.) Not so in the 2100--especially if you have a dog, crate and associated paraphernalia as we do. Thus, one of our two seats (the driver's), of necessity, is stacked with "stuff" when parked.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 08:38:53 am »
Only the cute granddaughter photo posted.  Here is one of the chair when empty.
I should add, I'm leaving the country today for 3 weeks. So, if you send any questions, there will be no answer until we return.