• PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Generator Problem
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 08:32:02 am »
The 13.4 was without the engine running. We are charging the battery now.

A fully charged lead-acid battery will measure 12.7 to 12.8 volts max.   The 13.4v you reported is a charging voltage that is only available when the engine is running or you are plugged into shore power.   However, batteries that are just taken off of a charger will have what is known as a surface charge that results from the chemistry and configuration of a lead-acid battery.   That surface charge goes away fairly quickly.   So I am guessing you had just (within a few minutes) shut the engine off when you checked the inverter voltage.

Just an FYI.. I have started the generator in my 2551 just using the engine battery.    The coach batteries were removed.   You have to leave the engine running and you have to wait about a minute or two after you start the engine.

---
Don and Patti

longdog2

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Mar/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 05:34:08 pm »
We were able to get the Genny running using the white rocker button on the dash while the engine was running. It ran great with a load and kept running fine after I turned the engine off. So, it looks like the Genny is not the problem.   I shut the Genny off and tried to restart as you normally would. It was a no go.....also no lights, pump, etc. The battery is still charged up just fine so I think there is a problem with the battery cut off switch or a relay or connection. I think this is going to be an RV tech fix.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:35:46 pm by longdog2 »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 08:05:56 pm »
In our 2007 PC, when I use the kill-all switch by the main entry door, a solenoid is tripped.  We hear it well by making a loud "CLICK".  The thing resembles this, though the quality of connections may differ.  If you don't hear the "CLICK", maybe that thing is faulty.  I would tap it with a hammer to jolt it loose, but NOT to dent it.  If you fixed it, then you need to replace it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:09:13 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

longdog2

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Mar/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 08:12:29 pm »
Thanks for all the help. Thought I should let you know how it all worked out. I took the RV in to my RV guys this morning. Initially thought it was solenoid or relay but checked out the batteries first. They were both fine. Checked out the battery cutoff. It was fine. Tracked it to a problem with the ground. Under RV, the ground wire was just barely movable. Re-established the connection to the frame the a new bolt and those star connectors. Thirty minutes after arrival, all the DC power was working fine and generator started right up and I was on my way home. What a relief. Heading out Friday morning on a month long trip. Thanks again.