• PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
Battery Charger Question
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »
I am considering replacing my flooded lead acid batteries with AGM.  I have a 2010 PC 2551.  It has XM 1800 inverter and Xantrex XA DC P50 panel.  Where would I find the converter/charger so I can see if it is capable to charge AGM batteries?  Is it under the passenger bed. Do I have to take out the plywood bed cover to see it?

Thanks
Ron S
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:48:08 am by Sarz272000 »

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
Re: Battery Charger Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:14:16 pm »
I would presume it is under the bed as it is for my 2017 2552. Mine has a square piece of wood at the other end of the bed platform you can take out but pretty difficult to see the converter/charger from that point. If you have the paperwork that came with the RV it would tell you what model was used and whether the charging cycle and voltages would be compatible with the AGMs you are considering. That could spare you from removing the plywood.
Mike & Pat Astley,

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 01:30:21 pm »
What specs exactly are you looking for...I have the same 2010 2551 and can look in my operating manuals for the info.

As far as accessing the converter etc. using a screw gun and removing all the screws is no big deal...way overkill on the screws so I only put 6 of the 20+ back in. You can just prop the plywood up (my waste basket did the trick) to work in the curb side bed compartment.  That is where I put my water accumulator tank and wired in the PI power supply manager. Not much room left under there now.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:18:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I want to find out if my converter/charger is multiple stage and if it can be switched to accommodate AGM batteries.  I have the XM 1800 inverter manual, which the last owner replaced recently, but no documents for converter/ charger.  I assume I have a multiple stage charger because when plugged into shore power the battery voltage rises to about 14.2 bolts and after maybe 1-3 hours levels out to about 13.6 volts. 

I use those cheap 12 volt LED displays you plug into the engine accessory and TV socket above the passenger seat.  They are really slick and easy to monitor.

*Is the converter/charger labeled? 
*About where is it located, in case I want to dive into the under bed compartment.
*Any experience/recommendations on AGM installation? I donít think it fits in the battery compartment unless pull out tray is removed?

Thanks

Ron S

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 06:43:39 am »
The converter/charger is part of the fuse and breaker panel ( AC/DC Distribution Panel) that is accessed in the hall between the beds. I think all info can be viewed there. The inverter is not visible but is mounted forward of the converter.

Page 5 of the install manual states:    12. Use the XADC for charging a lead-acid battery only. Do not use the XADC to
charge nickel-cadmium or dry-cell batteries commonly used with home
appliances and electronic equipment. These batteries may burst and cause
injury to persons and damage to property.

Here's a link to the manual:   http://www.bestconverter.com/assets/images/Xantrex/xadc/XADCinstallation.pdf

I'd call the manufacturer, they may have a patch or fix for using AGMs.

I'd like to do the same thing when I need new batteries, keep us informed.

Dougn

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 08:47:24 am »
Here is a site that has all manuals for Xantrex Converter.  It says they have been discontinued.  I did not see any upgrades for AGM batteries.  I am going to verify what is installed in my 2551. If it is the Xantrex i think we will just go with the flooded batteries when they go.  Canít see upgrading converter/ charger for AGMs until our Xantrex has issues. KISS applies here!

We do not dry camp.  I have a water system installed that makes maintenance of the batteries easy.  The Xantrex is a multiple stage charger with PF correction. That is what I really wanted to confirm.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Xantrex-XADC-Converter-Charger_c_115.html

Thanks for your help!

Ron S

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 09:40:35 am »
Page 5 of the install manual states:    12. Use the XADC for charging a lead-acid battery only. Do not use the XADC to charge nickel-cadmium or dry-cell batteries commonly used with home appliances and electronic equipment. These batteries may burst and cause injury to persons and damage to property.
Dougn

Don't let this confuse you. AGMs are lead-acid batteries so this warning does not apply.

The links that were provided show this to be a 3 -stage charger, generally good, it just is lacking the equalization stage done periodically to de-sulfate the lead-acid batteries. Many AGMs do not recommend using an equalization stage so this is in your favor if you switch to AGMs.

It shows the bulk charging voltage as 14.2 and this is the spec you need to know to check against the recommended charging voltage for any new batteries. Just to check it is not too high (shouldn't be) as if it is lower than recommended it will just take the batteries a little longer to charge.
Mike & Pat Astley,

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 10:35:24 am »
My AGM batteries (Lifeline) recommend 14.2v charge voltage,.  Flooded lead-acid batteries reccomend 13.8v charging voltage.

Added in edit:  whoops.. Make that 14.5 for my AGMs
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:08:44 am by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

fandj

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 04:32:08 pm »
http://www.lichty.org/MiscImages/BatterySpecs.pdf

This link provides charging recommendations for Interstate 6 volt Golf Car wet cell  batteries.  The recommended voltage per 6 volt battery should be multiplied by two for a pair of 6 volt units connected in series in the Phoenix MH.

The recommended voltage for absorption and equalization exceed 15 volts which could exceed various appliance control board max design voltage.  The only way I would feel comfortable in applying voltages in excess of the control board limits is to disconnect the battery from the motor home and apply the charge/equalization voltage to the isolated battery bank.

I have adjusted my Morningstar solar controller temp compensated output to a maximum output of 14.8 volts.  The Progessive Dynamics converter max output is limited to 14.4 volts.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 07:35:23 am »
Page 5 of the install manual states:    12. Use the XADC for charging a lead-acid battery only. Do not use the XADC to charge nickel-cadmium or dry-cell batteries commonly used with home appliances and electronic equipment. These batteries may burst and cause injury to persons and damage to property.
Dougn

Don't let this confuse you. AGMs are lead-acid batteries so this warning does not apply.

The links that were provided show this to be a 3 -stage charger, generally good, it just is lacking the equalization stage done periodically to de-sulfate the lead-acid batteries. Many AGMs do not recommend using an equalization stage so this is in your favor if you switch to AGMs.

It shows the bulk charging voltage as 14.2 and this is the spec you need to know to check against the recommended charging voltage for any new batteries. Just to check it is not too high (shouldn't be) as if it is lower than recommended it will just take the batteries a little longer to charge.

Yes I was confused.  Thanks for clearing that up. I will consider AGMs.  I have to see if they can fit in my battery tray without major rework.

Ron S

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 08:13:11 am »
My AGM batteries (Lifeline) recommend 14.2v charge voltage,.  Flooded lead-acid batteries reccomend 13.8v charging voltage.

What is the part number for your lifeline AGMs? 12 volt or 6 volt?

Ron S

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 02:11:57 pm »

What is the part number for your lifeline AGMs? 12 volt or 6 volt?

Ron S

GPL-4CT 6v deep cycle 220Ah

No modifications for battery tray, they are the same size as the Interstate flooded cell 6v golf cart batteries my 2015 PC 2551 came with.

I bought them from BDBatteries https://bdbatteries.com/collections/lifeline/products/lifeline-gpl-4ct

They are expensive ($341ea but that includes shipping) but in my opinion, we'll worth the price.  I am 100% satisfied with them.

If you currently have a 12v battery (or 2) Lifeline makes most, if not all, their batteries in standard battery group sizes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:32:10 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 04:07:07 pm »
Thanks donc13. Same size no brainer. I hate reiventing the wheel.

You guys in Colorado think clearly and are very helpful.  Must be the fresh air up there!

We got to get to Colorado soon. 

Ron S

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 04:48:51 pm »
Thanks donc13. Same size no brainer. I hate reiventing the wheel.

You guys in Colorado think clearly and are very helpful.  Must be the fresh air up there!

We got to get to Colorado soon. 

Ron S

Do it!

We love the UP and visit often!
---
Don and Patti

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 05:55:08 am »
Also the Lifeline GPL-6CTs (300 Ahr) will fit in the battery drawer. You have to lay them on their side (which you can do with AGMs) but they fit without modding the drawer. I don't know though whether you need a "wire stretcher" or not if you are replacing factory installed upright batteries as I had them installed by the factory at build.
Mike & Pat Astley,