• Looking forward to being a PC owner
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2910
  • Slide: Yes
Hershey RV show this week
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:41:15 pm »
My wife (Pilar) and I attended the RV show in Hershey PA this week.  We're in the market to buy sometime next year.  There was a LOT of activity at the show and at the Phoenix Cruiser display.  Seemed like more than last year. 
We initially had narrowed our search down to a 2552 but Pilar really likes the extra space of the 2910D.  We spoke with Bob White, the Campers Inn rep and Barry Hyser of Phoenix USA.  Both were very nice and more than willing to answer all of our questions.  The Liquid Springs rep was present and allowed us to test drive a 2910T with the Liquid Springs.  He was very nice also and we learned a lot about the Liquid Springs system.   It was a very smooth ride.  Much softer than other Class C's that I've driven.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to drive one without the Liquid Springs option, so I can't comment on if or how much better it is without the Liquid Springs. 
I like the 2552 because of the length and being able to sleep without worrying about a slide. The 2910 is longer and a slide must be put out to sleep comfortably.  I mentioned putting two twin beds (facing front to back) with no rear slide to Bob and he seemed very positive about it.  When I mentioned it to Barry (who's been around a lot longer than Bob) he said that they used to have a model like that but they discontinued it because it wasn't selling. He also said that he has gotten a few inquiries about it recently and that if others are interested it may be something he would bring back next year. 
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. 
Liquid Springs... worth the extra cost?  Has anyone driven both?
Any issues with the extra length of the 2910?  BLM, COE, State & Federal Parks?  Maneuverability?  Any issues with the weight?  I figured that without the rear slide, it should help.
Thanks.
RonJ

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Hershey RV show this week
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:19:03 pm »
RonJ,

The rear twin bed model you are curious about was last listed in Phoenix's 2011 brochure, called model 2950.
- over-all length 29'-8" (model 2552 is 27-10")
- wheel base 208"  (model 2552 is 206")
It seems to have an extremely large rear overhang compared to model 2552, placing a lot of weight on the rear axle.  It's saving grace is that like 2552, it does not have a rear slide out to weight it down further.
- fresh water 46 gallons
- black waste water 23 gallons
- gray waste water 35 gallons

If you got the dinette without the front slide out, it would be much more comfortable with a bigger table and more leg room.  The over-all weight would be reduced by roughly 500 pounds.

It seems to me that model 2552 has the optimal length-to-wheel base ratio for load distribution and handling.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will email the 2011 brochure, and maybe an older one if it has 2950 interior pictures.

One of the other Rons
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:28:39 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

RonJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:51:38 pm »
Great info. Thanks so much Ron!
RonJ

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »
RonJ
There is another model with rear twins beside what Ron D describes below.  It is a 2910 Custom or Twin.  It has twin beds in back with a night stand between them.  Former salesperson Earl said they could lower the night stand and install the power king bed option.  Another owner installed a board between the twins to make it one large bed. He left the night stand as is and slept side to side. 

The 2910 Custom was a 2910D with the twins, no slide replacing the queen bed and slide out in the back. That same owner also replaced the euro chairs with flex steel chairs mounted to the floor with seat belts.  Great way to bring the grandkids.  In my opinion this is the best PC layout.

In the PC forum GradyGirl used to have a 2910 Twin.  They sold it but you could look at some of their past comments.  There is a picture of one on the Facebook PC Travel Club FB site.

Ron S

Ron S

RonJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 10:18:20 am »
Very helpful! Thanks to all the "Rons" out there.
RonJ

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:09:11 pm »
One more thing.  The 2910 Custom does not have the large closet found in the 2552.  However, it does have upper storage cabinets above the twins and across the back wall. I like the storage cabinets better than the closet.

Ron S

Sarz272000

• View Profile
Re: Hershey RV show this week - Update 2910 Custom
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 10:36:09 am »
More info on a 2910 Rear Twin PC I ran across for anyone considering a new PC. This unit eliminates slide in rear of 2910D with two twins. Twins picture below. Also storage and cabinets in the rear area. Owner name was Dave Rotelle. PC may be able to look up build for Dave’s unit and get one more info on it.

Drivers side: 35" X 78"
Passenger side : 33" X 78"

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:43:45 am by Sarz272000 »

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:46:33 am »
More 2910 Rear Twin pics. Add liquid springs to this build and you may have close to the comfort of a diesel pusher!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:52:30 am by Sarz272000 »

RonJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »
Thank you for the photos and info.  That's exactly what I want.  This will be very helpful.

RonJ
RonJ

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 10:24:46 pm »
Did Phoenix re-introduce model 2950?  As I mentioned higher up, the rear twin bed pictured above was discontinued in 2012.

If made a tad longer (or adjust the balance of the floor plan) it would have made a nice walk-around queen bedroom as was common in the old days.

As I mentioned in another thread, I always thought it would be interesting to have a queen-size captain's bed turned sideways against the rear wall.  Have button-latched drawers facing forward and a huge full width outside storage compartment behind them with access from one or both sides and also from the back.  Yes, the person against the rear wall would have to climb over the forward person (or ask them to exit) but it would be much easier compared to our limited access 2350 bed.

You who know me, know I am not a fan of slide outs.  But I have greater concern with a rear slide out because that extra 400-500 pounds is cantilevered behind the rear axle, increasing the weight immensely on the rear axle along with lightening the front axle.  Any motor home regardless of brand, without a slide out behind the rear axle makes engineering sense.  The extra weight from leverage from the extra 400-500 pounds increases exponentially pending how far back it is mounted.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:45:37 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:45:13 am »
RonJ

Found more pics of 2910 rear twin. Owner replaced euro chairs with flex steel chairs that recline and swivel.  They had seat belts too.  He replaced driver and passenger seats with flex steel as well. He also replace window treatment with wood valances...nice.  I should have bought it!!!

Also got info on liquid spring weight....If you add LiquidSpring to the rear of your coach it will add 90lbs to the front and 190lbs to the rear.  Not bad.

I would be curious how much a custom rear twin would be with LS. 

Ron S

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:50:18 am by Sarz272000 »

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 06:52:39 pm »
Just for clarification, Gradygirl who used to be members of this forum, designed this model around 2012-2013. 

We camped with them on numerous occasions in Florida.  It was a very nice design.  Since that time PC would build the model upon request, so there are a few around.  George and Judi always wanted the unit to be designed a little different by having a full bath in back like the 2551/2552 but that was not possible so this is what they had instead.

This is different from model 2950 in that the shower and commode are not in the same room. In this newer designed model the shower is on the passenger side and commode on the drivers side.  There is no large closet for hanging clothes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:03:11 pm by Barry-Sue »
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Sarz272000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:06:02 am »
Barry-Sue

Thanks for the clarification on the 2910 Rear Twin. We communicated with Gradygirl several times and they were very helpful to us.  They were very imaginative and had the foresight to design the rear twin and allow other PC owners to use that design.

The PC 2910 rear twin Dave built was a 2016 model.  So PC has built one fairly recently if others are interested.

Ron S