• NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: July 2019
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2004
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: White /blue swirls
Charging issue
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:55:13 pm »
Hello, we are on the road, DH driving. We have been super happy with our 2004 2350. We bought it this summer . The previous owner changed out the batteries to 2 6v AGM, he also installed a Boondocker converter/charger, plus a battery monitor. .Starting  yesterday.. we noticed the batteries charged very slowly off the generator and today while driving with battery disconnect in the ďin useĒ position the batteries r actually drawing down. When I switch the disconnect to ď storeĒ the batteries stay put, no loss or gain. we have driven some gravel roads , hit bumps in the freeway so I am hoping for a loose wire. Havenít checked any fuses yet.. as we r driving for another 4hrs.. any ideas? The batteries r only 2 yrs old and have been treated well. Everything has been perfect until yesterday .Thanks for any help..

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Re: Charging issue
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:01:00 pm »
I'd check all of the chassis ground cables first and also battery cables, remove , clean, reassemble...with fingers crossed.
Dougn

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:25:58 pm »
Just stopped for gas.. I just checked all the battery connections on chassis and house batteries..  and of the wires I could get to. All right and clean. The previous owner took great care of the RV. So everything is squeaky clean.. when we get home we will plug it in, hopefully it charges right up.. but we will still need to find the problem..

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »
If itís not 13.8v while driving check your truck battery/ alternator voltage gauge too.
If you have an inverter try turning it off.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »
Hi Skier1985,

Your implication says your batteries were all charging properly before, and something recently changed for the worse, right?  Given the custom electrical work done by the previous owner, advise from us here will be limited.

Our 2007 PC is wired-up different than previous model years because it is the first year featuring two factory-installed batteries mounted under floor level , and it has a whole-house inverter.  I have volt meters installed for both our chassis and house batteries.  When our V10 engine is turned off, the voltage reading on both meters is 12.something volts.  When the V10 engine is running, they increase to 13.8 volts or higher.  You should be seeing the same.

I agree with CalCruiser.  Turn off your custom-installed inverter and see if it makes a difference.  Also make sure your V10 alternator output is good.

It is going to take trial and error investigative work.  I hope you find the culprit.

In the mean time, to get you through the trip, buy a secondary battery charger and charge manually, plugged into 110V via the generator.  I practice this method often because I get more charging amperage with my secondary charger which reduces generator run times.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 10:27:08 pm »
I believe from the symptoms you describe, the batteries are not being charged via the engine alternator.

When you have the battery disconnect in the I use position, several small loads will draw them down.  Your TV (even if off), audio amplifier, refrigerator and so forth, will draw the batteries down slowly.  You are not plugged into shore power power, probably not running generator while driving (although you can do that, so nothing is charging the batteries if the circuit breaker that sits in line with engine alternator output to charging the coach batteries.

The self resetting circuit breaker sits under the hood on driver's side... On top of left wheel well and looks like this

Thry are known to fail so your house batteries get no charge. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:30:43 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 10:31:46 pm »
HI, we got back to Reno and plugged in. Charged up to 100% quickly.   Ya, all has been good until yesterday. We usually are boondocking or in  CG without hookups. We have a 100w plug and play solar setup from Renogy. It has been good. We rarely even use the generator except for heating with the micro or kicking on the heat on a cold (under 50F) in the morning. We have an off grid house in Mexico so we are good at conserving energy .... The previous owner was on this board and did some great upgrades to the 2004. Now call me a dummy, but where would the inverter be? I know there is a boondocker charger/converter. The chassis battery was good when we got to Reno. Only 2 yrs old.
    To fit the 2 6v batteries in , the last owner pulled the tray, so to get to the wiring in back, I have to pull the batteries out. But everything back there seemed tight . Iím a she so my hands could fit behind and check things out to some extent. Unfortunately , here in the Reno area we are having some nasty weather. Hit a super powerful wind/dust storm on the way back, blew the cover off the AC.  Luckily DH was driving as I dont know if I could have held it on the road. Finally got here , started to clean stuff and  found out we have a mouse and it got into our Oreos and dried cranberries.  GRRRR. A challenging day.
     I am just baffled by the electrical because it has all been working so well. Oh.... I pulled out my voltmeter and the battery was dead. TOMORROW  will be new day. We do have a good RV mechanic in Fallon NV, retired man that works out of his house, We have a call into him.  Thanks for all your input. Love this forum and still..... really like our RV.

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 10:40:18 pm »
Thanks DONC13! And super thanks for the photo. At least that leads me to another place to check. I know of the phantom loads and all since we have a solar home also.  It  was cold at night on this trip, I would hit the battery disconnect since the fridge was staying cold as was everything else. That way the voltage would not decrease. Funny the RV came  with a Roku TV and the DVD player from PC, we havenít even looked at the manual yet as we usually are in the sticks and dont even think about watching it. At some point we wil probably want to watch a movie.
    Hopefully tomorrow will not be raining and we will try again to figure things out. Thanks for your help

Skier1985

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 07:07:49 pm »
Thanks Donc13!! That was the problem. All fixed now. I think it was the original. Both posts were al rusted and it was only held on with 1 screw, the other broke. Thanks again

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 08:52:21 pm »
Whatís the direct replacement  p/n or Amp rating?
I am going to buy a spare one for my tool kit. That simple yet critical little part takes a real  beating where itís located.
Goin' where the wind goes...

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 10:53:21 pm »
Whatís the direct replacement  p/n or Amp rating?
I am going to buy a spare one for my tool kit. That simple yet critical little part takes a real  beating where itís located.

40amp

Here's the one I got... It has terminal covers but otherwise identical.

Fastronix 40A 12V Type 1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSDGNX6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:00:44 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti