• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: September 2020
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2351D 2020
  • Slide: Yes
New PC owner
« on: October 05, 2019, 10:29:03 am »
Hello everyone.  This is my first post.  I tried introducing myself in the Introduce Yourself section, but apparently that section in inactive.   We are the happy owners of a 2020, 2351D which we picked up a couple weeks ago.  This unit is out tenth RV and ninth motorhome.   We have owned RV's since the early '70's and have owned everything from a 40' diesel pusher to a class-C and a class-B+ on the sprinter chassis and everything in-between, including two Super-C units on the Freightliner M2 chassis.  As you can imagine over our 46 years of owning motorhomes we have had a lot of different experiences with the different units.   

As a new PC owner I look forward to contributing to the discussions in this forum. 

With our extensive background I thought it would be useful to share my initial impressions of the Phoenix Cruiser.     We had recently sold a Super-C unit that we were very happy with, but I was tired of driving a 40' motorhome and towing a Jeep behind it.   My goal now was to find a quality built Class-B+.   Since we no longer planned to spend months at time in the RV my main goal was to be as compact as possible, but still be livable for a few days at a time.   Additionally my main two criteria are heavy-duty and high quality.   After searching for months with the high-volume manufacturers and not finding anything I could be happy with, primarily due to poor workmanship, I decided to look into the low-volume brands that seemed to have good reputations.   After finding Phoenix Cruiser and reading many positive things about it as well as really liking the factory-direct sales model (and since we live in Indiana) I decided to schedule a visit to the factory.   Unfortunately, I ran into the problem that some people have mentioned...  I couldn't get hold of anyone!  After three emails and two phones calls to the factory I was about to give up on PC.   Fortunately I decided to give it one more try and finally someone answered the phone.  That person forwarded me to Bob White who was at the Hersey show at the time.  Although I got his voice mail, he returned my call very quickly.   From there on the process went very smoothly and hopefully they are getting the issue of being hard to reach worked out.

So what are my initial impressions?  I am very impressed with the unit!    Before purchasing a new unit I do a lot of research looking for actual user experiences with the company.   I also give the potential unit a very thorough going over, including a test drive, while on the lot.    After purchasing the unit and getting it home I then do my own very thorough PDI (Post Delivery Inspection).    Having done all of that with the Phoenix Cruiser I can say that I am very impressed with the design of the unit as well as the workmanship and the attention to detail.  Additionally I can say that this unit was by far the cleanest, inside and out, of any we have ever purchased.   I can say unequivocally that it is the best workmanship of any unit we have owned.   (Sadly the absolute worst unit we owned was also the most expensive unit!)

We are looking forward to our first trip in it soon.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
Re: New PC owner
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »
Welcome to the PC forum and PC ownership.  We have had our 2551 for a year and love it.  I agree that the quality is outstanding and everythingís works and works well!  Love your color choice and model.  Many happy travels.  Your experience will be a big asset on this forum.

Ron S

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 07:08:10 pm »
Grandpa17: Congratulations on your new 2351D! I hope you have many happy miles in it.
I'm glad you gave it one last shot and finally reached Bob.
I've been working with PC since May ordering my rig and since that time, Bob is the third Campers Inn PC Factory Rep I have dealt with.
So far he has been the most responsive by far.
My wife and I are driving out to Elkhart hoping for a Wednesday pickup.
Maybe you saw our unit, it is the Nightscape with Burgundy 2552.
Curious about your PDI experience with the PC rep?
Did you find anything that needed to be fixed before you took it home?
Did you spend a night at the PC factory as others have done?

Good luck with your new RV and see you around the forum!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:11:13 pm by jim.godfrey »

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:46:05 pm »
Jim,

Yes I believe I did see your unit and itís beautiful!  Iím sure youíll be very happy when you see it.

Bob was juggling another pickup that got in a day early from California, so I spent all of 15 minutes with him going over it with me - which was fine in my case.  He would have taken more time with me if I had wanted it.   Weíre only 1 1/2 hours from the factory so there was no need to spend the night.  I was impressed with how clean it was and Bob assured me their PDI guy has an extensive check list that every least thing was tested to proper function.  In my own post delivery inspection I havenít found anything even questionable.

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 07:47:44 pm »
Thanks Ron S.  Looking forward to being a part of the PC family.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 08:03:46 pm »
Congrats Grandpa17!  Welcome to the family of the Phoenix Cruiser.

We bought our PC new in 2007 and love it more with each passing year.  It is RV #2 for us.  We owned #1 for 24 years.  So I surely do not have the personal experience on other brands like you.  As time passes for you, please be candid on everything you find yourself comparing, the better than's, and the worse than's.

Do you also have the slide out on the driver side?  Did you get the dinette or the recliner-sofa with pantry on that side?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:06:23 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:47:33 pm »
Ron,

Iíll be happy to continue to report back from time to time.  So far I am very impressed with the quality and workmanship.  One of the things that really impressed me was taking the tour of the facility.  It was obvious that the people were very skilled at their jobs and more focused on doing things right rather than doing things fast.

We have the drivers side slide out with the recliner sofa with pantry.   This is our first unit to not have a dinette.  Iím sure weíll miss not having one, but we opted for the comfort of the seats.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 09:12:18 am »
Most people opt for the comfy seating rather than the dinette.

Our first rig, the one we owned for 24 years SEEN HERE, the over-head bed was way too confining for us adults.  But that confined space was ideal for our kids.  We turned the extra wide dinette into a double bed and kept it that way for us during our trips.  As a result we missed not having a dinette, so much that having a dinette setup 100% of the time was one of our highest priorities for rig #2.

Considering just the two of us turning 49 years of age at the time, here were our top 3 critical points at the time when we stumbled on a Phoenix Cruiser 2350 at an area indoor RV show in January 2007.
- Absolutely MUST fit inside our garage (10 foot tall door, 25 feet deep)
- Absolutely MUST have a dinette that we would leave setup that way
(the floor model had a couch in a slide out but the brochure's floorplan also showed a no-slide dinette)
- Absolutely MUST have a permanent bed to sleep together (not separately in twin beds)

Everything else was negotiable to some degree.

There are so many great features that came with our PC, but pointing out one specific bonus for us is having the 3rd seat by the main entry door.  The rig originally came with an uncomfortable barrel chair there, but we switched it out for a 3rd matching captain seat.  Pictures of both seats can be  SEEN HERE.  We often use the front dinette bench for an ottoman.  So one of us sits in great comfort while the other sits at the dinette, most often done while watching a movie.  If not watching something on the main TV, we usually sit across from each other at the dinette.  It's our favorite hang out place.  We of coarse eat together that way, but also play games and spread out park maps and such on the table.

The original cloth seat cushions were thicker but with a fluffy generic foam that were not comfortable at all.  Years later we got upgraded vinyl-covered cushions with much more dense main foam with a top-coat of memory foam from Phoenix which made a huge improvement in our dinette comfort.

Our plan is to keep our PC until we are too old and dangerous driving it.  But if our lives change for whatever the reason, and another rig is planned, a dinette setup all the time will surely remain our top priority.  Hopefully you won't miss having one so much that another change needs to take place for you.

There are a few 2351 and 2552 owners here who opted for the dinette in various configurations
- dinette in a slide out, eliminating the pantry
- dinette and pantry without a slide out
- dinette and NO pantry without a slide out (gains a bigger dinette table and more leg room)
The last one intrigues me.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:37:42 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 12:39:16 pm »
Ron,

All great information.  Thanks for taking the time to write that up.    I found your information prior to buying ours and it was extremely helpful in our decision to purchase a PC.  Great photos too.  Congratulations on having your first motorhome for 24 years and now your second one for approx. 12 years.  You have saved a ton of money by doing that and it's good to know that they can actually hold up that long.   It has always surprised us that so many people trade RV's every few years, with us being one of them.  Our reasons for trading on average about every 4-5 years have been for a myriad of reasons.   Sometimes it was to frankly get rid of a piece of crap!   Mostly it was that over the years our needs have often changed from spending 3-4 months in an RV and wanting something roomy to using it only for getting form point A to point B and wanting something compact.   That's where we are today.  We have come off of a 39' super-C that we would spend 3-4 months in each winter and which we really enjoyed, but now we want something compact mostly for getting from point A to point B and only spending a night or two in it while driving to our destination.   I agree with you though, if we were going to spend a lot of time living in it we would want a dinette.   We opted for the 2351D strictly to get the queen bed.  We haven't slept in a full bed in 46 years!

I'm impressed with all the modifications you have made to your unit and how well it is holding up.  On some of the roads in the country it's a wonder the "home" part of the motorhome doesn't shake itself apart!  What has your long-term experience been with the 3rd party appliances?

Funseekers

• View Profile
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 03:34:58 pm »
GRANDPA17,
How does you Dbl slide unit drive on the e450 and did you upgrade any suspension components? Agree with your assessment of PC attention to detail and would add that their customer service is second to none!

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 09:12:53 pm »
It drives very nice.  Our unit has the Liquid Spring suspension and the Safe T steering damper and stock shocks.  It feels well balanced on the road.  The OCCC rating, at least according to the door sticker, is 2160 lbs so it has plenty of load capacity. 

Funseekers

• View Profile
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:31 pm »
Did you order the unit as a stock 25 foot or did you add the extension cabinets in the rear coach? Your unit sure looks nice!

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 08:45:40 am »
Did you order the unit as a stock 25 foot or did you add the extension cabinets in the rear coach? Your unit sure looks nice!

In our case we didn't order the unit.  After researching class-B's for several months (we have owned two before) I decided to take a look at the PC units.  While looking at their floor plans my wife and I decided that the 2351D would best suit our needs.    We were ready to buy as soon as we found the right unit and as luck would have it PC had two 2351D units in stock.   We didn't want to wait for a new custom ordered unit so we chose between the two that they had and chose the one we have mostly because it had the Liquid Spring suspension.

Looking at the build sheet I don't see extension cabinets listed, but our unit does have cabinets at the rear beside the bed.  They are about one foot deep.

Just as a note, our unit is pretty much fully loaded, solar panels, leveling jacks, liquid springs, full body paint, etc.    The only thing we would have done differently is to not order the Euro Chair for $890.  We removed it to gain the extra floor space.   We also removed the table.  I'm glad they didn't put the post supports in the floor, but the table is just too much trouble to store and set up.  I am sold on the luxury vinyl plank flooring.  It is really nice.

dogyard

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 08/2018
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Beige
  • ExtColor: Desert
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 10:54:21 am »
Gorgeous unit, the one I'd upgrade to if given the chance. Quick suggestion is to have Doug install 2 of the Lagun aircraft tables, you'll NEVER miss your table!

Grandpa17

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 02:06:24 pm »
Good suggestion.  Iím considering the Lagun tables, just not sure if we even want them.   Iím in the mood to keep everything as simple as possible and I have a feeling even those would feel like theyíre in the way at times.