• PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: What air compressor do you carry?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 08:08:13 am »

Why would you need a real compressor on-board?  Is the idea to be able fix a flat on a 10,000 lb vehicle with dualies at the side of the road?  I think I'd just call AAA.  If I was real desperate, I might try to get out the spare myself and see if that bottle jack I carry is actually any good for 10,000lbs.  But I don't think I'd trust a flat tire plug on such a heavy vehicle, even if I had a compressor that would blow up one of those monster tires.

I carry a plug kit, and a bicycle pump currently. Saved my butt once on the trailer, but after that workout a better compressor is in order. Might even warrant carrying an air gun for the lug nuts.   (exactly)

"" I think I'd just call AAA.""   Working towing and recovery, I have been amazed at the LONG response times for AAA. Couple hours was not uncommon. More than once FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) dictated we tow the car because the AAA truck was taking too long, and the highway had to be cleared.  On a busy weekend, a flat tire may go to the bottom of the AAA dispatch list.  :'(

Having said that, I am a AAA Platinum RV member. Worth it for the BIG problems that require a tow.

""Is the idea to be able fix a flat on a 10,000 lb vehicle with dualies at the side of the road?""   HELL yes!  Our campers! (11,500 lb vehicle..or more if you have a E450)

""But I don't think I'd trust a flat tire plug on such a heavy vehicle, even if I had a compressor that would blow up one of those monster tires.""  Insurance companies may not allow tire stores to use them, but I have had nothing but excellent results with plugs in truck tires of this range, and heavier.  Not the $3.98 kit you get at the gas station with the pathetic skinny black plugs, but a quality kit with *ONLY* genuine North Shore Labs plugs.  Like this one -
https://www.govets.com/consumer-products/hardware-and-tools/north-shore-laboratories-corp-home-and-office-hardware-tools-276-safssktp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNXtBRC6ARIsAIPP7Rvp3Xk96XIWZ6czegmBwqpZBV0PTNU0xDIpA9i94DPPkpTV0K5dyBIaAqDUEALw_wcB 

And ream out the hole well. This makes your round plug seal a round hole.  2o2   

If you have a 5 ton bottle jack (10K pounds) I am with you on wondering if it would work in back. Might be a good idea to test it in the driveway sometime. My 5 ton rated floor jack would not lift the back axle of my camper, just 'whooshed' by the overload. And I was pretty much empty. Jack *evidently* is under adjusted, or over rated... (WH)  My rig came without a jack, so I carry a 12 ton.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 08:44:53 am »
Back in 2007, Phoenix supplied our new PC with a generic 6 ton bottle jack and Ford-supplied tire iron for changing a tire.  I have used that bottle jack a number of times to lift one rear corner and it does the job without concern of over-load.  Years after buying our PC, I thought it would be wiser to buy a more capable bottle jack but after researching them, I decided to keep what I have for one primary reason.  More capable bottle jacks are so much heavier.  Our 6 ton is hard enough to maneuver under the rear axle.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

custerhank

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Sept/2019
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Brown
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 07:00:39 pm »
  We have been using a Sears unit that is exactly like the Porter Cable unit mentioned in this thread. We used it in our 40 ft Diesel Pusher and it worked well..just took a while. It seems a bit big to be carrying in the PC so I will be looking around for something maller. I also need to find the bottle jack and large tire iron mentioned here...I hope i find it in our 2017 2910D.

Hank

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 12:12:21 pm »
Well, I was a Boy Scout, so the idea of "Be Prepared" is not lost on me.  But I guess a spare, bottle jack, tire iron, and TPMS, on top of a AAA membership, seems prepared enough, without adding a professional flat fixing kit and $250 compressor (that I don't have room to carry, anyway). 

In fact, I don't even spring for the deluxe AAA membership.  Yes, I'll pay more if I actually have to use it, but I also tend toward a skeptical view of insurance in general.  I insure for disasters I can't afford, not annoyances that I can.  How often am I likely to have a flat?  How many years of guaranteed higher insurance premiums would I have to pay to get that discount, if I someday actually used that insurance?  I don't carry AAA because I can't afford a flat.  I carry it so that I'll know who to call if I have one.

But maybe I'd feel differently if I boondocked a lot.  And I'm still interested in learning what people think is the best small compressor.  I just don't feel a need to carry it on-board.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 01:10:06 pm »

In fact, I don't even spring for the deluxe AAA membership.  Yes, I'll pay more if I actually have to use it, but I also tend toward a skeptical view of insurance in general.  I insure for disasters I can't afford, not annoyances that I can.

Not sure if I mentioned my current air supply is a  bicycle pump.. good to 110 PSI  :lol

My memory may be faulty, but adding the RV to our existing personal AAA was ridiculous cheap - less than $100 a year IIRC... I can check with the 'Keeper of the Cash' Mrs V for actual numbers..

Ours allows (1) 200 mile tow, and (3) 100 mile tows. AND my trailer is covered.  (cheer)  The base was towing had 1st 5(?) miles free, or some pittance like that. And the trailer was extra.  I have been out of the towing bix for 10+ years, but a RV size tow was ~$2.00 a loaded mile after the free allowance (in 2006!) . For now, we tend to stay within 300 miles of home for festivals and other music video/taping gigs. Usually 150-200. Should we need a tow home, 200 miles will cover most of it. With the cheap AAA, the extra 190 miles would be over $400 after tax. PLUS the trailer.  :beg Not to mention we are on the road in the 'wee morning hours' and would be a few hours until shops open to give a tow. Driving a 13 year old motorhome it seemed a wise bet to wager $100 against being stuck in the early morning hours without assured  help. Especially for Mrs V's peace of mind.  Not a matter of it being a case of  not being able to afford the 'full retail' tow home, but buying time and convenience. And time is a precious commodity, maybe more when with a distressed spouse.

To each their own, and I can see how us being 'part time' (heck...occasional?)  RV-ers is a VERY different set of circumstances than being 'Full Time' in one.  Age is another BIG variable... sure I can use a bicycle pump for 30 min for NOW to do a tire...and sling around a 12 ton jack while on my belly.  But I am only 53 and in killer shape. I look like mid 40's.  Will be a different story when I am in my 70's and beyond !!!   2o2

GA Steve

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: Looking for 2552
  • Model: 2552
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 02:58:16 pm »
  And I'm still interested in learning what people think is the best small compressor.

About 10 years ago I got a Master Flow MF-1050 [ https://masterflowair.com/products/mf-1050 ] for about $50.  Now it's $70.  I've had to do some minor repairs on the pump but it still works fine.  It pumps 80 lbs truck tires with no problem.

Because of the higher amp draw to pump effectively, it is necessary to connect directly to the battery.  The lighter style plug has too small gauge wires running to it..  I consider it to be a much cheaper Viair type compressor.  Certainly not the best, but good value for the $$....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:41:06 pm by GA Steve »

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 11:59:51 am »
Age is another BIG variable...

Truer words were never spoken, my friend!  In addition to a bias toward paying people to do what I don't have the energy to do anymore, I'll even admit to a tendency toward crotchity-ness when the subject comes up!

So more power to you, you young whippersnappers!  Now get off my lawn!  (Oh, no lawn... sorry about that. Force of habit.)

serrano4657

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May, 2019
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2006 2551
  • IntColor: Blue, Maple Cabinets
  • ExtColor: Blue/White
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 10:25:20 pm »
I use a porter cable 6 gallon pancake air compressor. Works great and I keep it in the tow vehicle. For $100 you can't beat it and I have used on several trailers and class a and c motorhomes.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 10:00:19 am »
Great thread I have been looking at compressors and have seen a couple I am interested in one is the Viair H model 450, and the Klutch 52486 at Northern Tool. If I go with the Viair I am going to permanently mount it and then get the 1/2-inch rapid air master kit and pipe in 3 quick connect ports one on each side and one in the back for the toad. I keep looking at the space below the slide, there is plenty of room to mount the compressor off the frame rail then remote mount a regulator and switch to control it. This way everything is ready to go and I don't have to drag it out and hook it all up. However, if I decide not to do the install I am going to get the Klutch from Northern tool, itís a bit heavy but has a great discharge volume and is capable of 150 psi plus the price isnít to bad.

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 10:58:11 am »
VAir here, I do have triple A ( 30+ years). Recently I had a 6 hour wait for a tow truck due to an accident in the area.   I also use a high quality (safety seal ) plug kit. I used them on my motorcycles as well. If your afraid donít use them, if your unsure, do some research and learn. I have never had a safety seal plug fail, and I ran them on motorcycle tires thru the tires full life, front if rear. You couldnít even find where the plug was at the end of the tires life. 

bpsanon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 5/4/2011
  • ModelYear: 2011
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 11:07:29 pm »
Bought a DeWalt this summer.  Plugs in to dash or can purchase battery or electric adapter.  Compact and lightweight.
Available at Amazon for about $95.

DEWALT DCC020IB 20V Max Inflator (Bare)