• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Back up camera options
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:23:41 pm »
On my 2011....2552 the back up monitor is in the rear view mirror. It was never been stellar and itís gone from that to almost worthless. I canít find the brand or where the wires feed thru. I was hoping to find the connectors with out ripping the place apart and simply replacing the monitor with something that works. 

Has anyone changed out a monitor or is it easier to simply install a complete wireless system or maybe  just use a WiFi camera and use my phone as the monitor?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Back up camera options
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:40:59 pm »
Hi Joseph,

I would first try to replace your mirror-monitor-combo with a monitor alone and keep it hard-wired.  See if there is a connector on the mirror to disconnect it from the wiring harness.  If so, hopefully you can find a monitor that the connector plugs directly into for compatibility.  Maybe the manufacture of your particular system offers stand-alone replacement monitors.  We have a 5" monitor.  If they offer a 7" monitor, I would consider it.  Our 5" works well, but a 7" would be nicer yet.

Back in 2007, Phoenix mounted our monitor in the head liner between the sun visors.  I removed my conventional mirror and relocated the monitor to that position.  If you look close, you can see the scars in the head liner.  It was bad because I hit my head on it when going into the house from the driver seat, and it was too far rearward for easy viewing.

After I took this picture, I turned the monitor for better driver viewing.  I turn on the back-up camera every time I start driving and use it as my rear view mirror.  I also mounted my ScanGauge-II on top of it using Velcro.  I did this some years ago so I have many trips logged-in with this setup.  I am very pleased with it.

I bought this mounting kit which worked perfectly with my particular monitor.  I reused the original Ford mirror-mount attached to the windshield and did not utilize every other piece of hardware.  The kit supplied different hardware for different monitors.  CLICK HERE for one available source to buy it from.  But just maybe buying a new monitor from your system manufacture will include or offer a means to mount it to the windshield mirror-mounting slug.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:27:40 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:52:01 pm »
Ron,  that would be great but itís wired into the mirror, not a plug into it. I guess I could break it open but I kind of hate to do that and end up with a bigger mess.   I wish I could find where it junctions without tearing into the headliner.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 02:14:53 am »
Ahh, hard-wired, not an easy transition.

I don't know what you have there, but I did a quick search on back-up camera mirrors and see that some seem to have the entire length of wire attached to the mirror.  If you have that type, the implication is that the connection is under the dash board.   :'(
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 06:47:57 am »
Wouldn't the wiring go through one of the side cabinets? My guess is passenger side: mirror, up into space behind TV, into cabinet over passenger seat then down that side of the rig. Just a guess.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 11:31:07 am »
Frazzled my guess too but I havenít been able to find it.  Iíll give carol a call, sheís pretty knowledgeable in all the years of pc models

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 07:36:07 pm »
Joseph,    the monitor on our 2006 was in the visor,  and sketchy at best.   It died  2 years ago, and finding no  reason, I decided to  replace with a rear view mirror clip-on style, 7 inch screen,  from Tadi Brothers.
It's the wireless type, no running of cables.    Works great, second year now.  Nice, crisp, color monitor.    Tapped into the wire going into the old monitor for power, hiding the wire up in the headliner "lip"
that nearly touches the windshield.        Tapped into one of the marker lights nearest the camera for power back there.  So the lights do need to be on for the system to work. 
There also is a   small antenna up front that I velcroed  near the mirror, and is tied into the wiring to the monitor.
Jim

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:48:51 am »
Jimmer,  Iíll take a look, I see several companies offer options.  You can also just use the camera WiFi transmitter and use your phone or iPad as a monitor. Iím not sure the visor would work for me. I like to see the toad at a glance and keep the camera on but not sure Iíd want the visor down all the time. All in however where to mount the monitor is prob least of any issues.

Did you consider tapping into the power line for the previous monitor? Iím wondering if I could do that and place a small flat toggle to switch on and off.

Thank you for the ideas, youíve gotten my mind twisting around options.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 11:55:58 am »
Ron, John and Jim.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. Sometimes I find when posting problems or ideas here the advice I receive gets my mind to look at different views to approach and tackle  a project.

Many Thanks!

Joseph

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 06:09:07 pm »
Alllrighty then, I found the end of the cable and unplugged the mirror/ monitor. The cable is a single cable with a 9 pin female end with a corresponding male end from the mirrors cable. The unit when it worked also had compass heading and outside temp.

I canít find a brand anywhere on the mirror. It appears as if there had been a sticker on top at one time that may have had some info.  If anyone has a similar set up could you check if there is a sticker on top of yours with any info? If I can find out the make it will be an easy swap.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:14:16 pm by Joseph »

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 06:51:44 pm »
And for any tech out there. It being a 9 pin din with compass, temp and so on woul it be possible to simply buy a 9 pin din adapter to a three rca cable and connect to a monitor? What are the chance the power would be on the correct line doin this?  A 7 inch monitor is under 30 dollars and has the typical rca jacks. It would be an easy fix if if if.

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 08:33:40 pm »
Hopefully you can find an answer to your cable question, Joseph.      I called P.C. at the time and they said my cable was out-dated for anything currently on the market.    You might try calling P.C.to see if
they know what brand was installed in your's and if it might be compatible with something.     
You may have mis-read my new camera set-up.   The old monitor was in the visor and I left it there, clipped the cord to it, found the hot wire in it,  and used that to power the Tadi Bros. monitor that now clips right over
my existing rear view mirror.    The new monitor acts as the rear view mirror when it is powered off, and I can see out the back window quite easily.    When it's on,  the monitor gives you a nice clear camera view.
Jim

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 09:13:55 pm »
Jim, Thanks, Iíll call tomorrow. If Iím lucky itís still made, if not I guess Iíll have no choice but to go digital wireless.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:39:39 pm »
Joseph,

Look through your original literature, hopefully you have all of it.  In there would include the back-up camera/monitor system.  Call that company and see if they offer a replacement monitor without the mirror that is plug-n-play to your older system.  A compatible monitor offered from the original supplier might even include compass and temperature read out in some fashion, either on the screen or in a small window elsewhere on the face of the monitor.  It would likely cost a lot more than $30, but seemingly worth it if one exists.  No monkeying around.  Just mount it, plug it in, and be done.

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:41:27 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 12:10:30 am »
By searching other RV forums Iíve found out what I have. Itís a magnadyne M45TC.  Sadly itís no longer made. I will call them tomorrow but from what I see on their web site I could buy a complete new color system for less than what they want for a monitor  (their cheapest monitor is 240+.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:12:12 am by Joseph »