• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Re: 2017 2910T Dinette Leaking From Rain
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 11:59:26 am »
Let me get this straight, so someone has a leak that is somehow associated with the slide and the basic advice of some is to buy a pc with out a slide? Wow, now thats helpful and only costs however many tens of thousands of dollars.  For the life of me I can't see how suggesting they go buy a motorhome without a slide is helpful.

The truth is leaks are darn hard to locate, where we see them inside can be a long way from where they start. I'd start with calling Phoenix and get their input. They may have some good starting points from past customer experience of owners who may not belong to this forum.  Not much help I know, I wish I had a for sure fix, leaks are very frustrating.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:04:49 pm by Joseph »

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 02:47:44 pm »
My slide is on the drivers side, the rail that holds the slide awning pulled away from the side of the rv allowing water to bypass the seals and run in on top of the slide when the slide was in. It then simply ran off the top of the slide and on to the floor. My second leak was running in the bottom of the slide rails and on to the floor with the slide in, like Joseph said, were the water is coming out isn't always where it's going in. They could not find the leak at the factory, It wasn't because they weren't trying. I took it back to my local small town dealer and he was determined to find it. At the top of the slide, on the corners, there are 2 caps about  5 or 6 inches square, mine were caulked around. Those caps do nothing except cover up a 45 degree seam so it looks nice. Water can get behind those caps, run into the 45 degree seam and run down behind the seal. The water then found a path on the rail attached to the side of the slide and ran into the rv. This was with the slide in. Caulking that 45 degree seem stopped the leak. I'm thinking they forgot to caulk mine but I'm not sure PC caulks that seem at all. Funny thing, mine didn't leak when it was new that I know of but it sure leaked shortly there after. If PC recommended not to order the slide to avoid leaks, they would lose 90 % of their customers.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 07:30:13 pm »
Let me get this straight, so someone has a leak that is somehow associated with the slide and the basic advice of some is to buy a pc with out a slide?

We agree, but as much as it may offend the 'sensibilities'.........it is a sure fire, guaranteed way to solve the problem.  roflol

At the top of the slide, on the corners, there are 2 caps about  5 or 6 inches square, mine were caulked around. Those caps do nothing except cover up a 45 degree seam so it looks nice. Water can get behind those caps, run into the 45 degree seam and run down behind the seal.

I know these are far from square, but they cover the 45* seam on my coach. They are in poor shape, one is about to come off. Was planning on replacing at repaint.

Never had a problem with leaks inside, but the steel rail that forms the outer, lower rail of the slide is rusting. Fasteners are popping off. Not visible outside yet, but I was snooping around looking for trouble and found it.

I initially blamed the manual crank access port being open and letting water in. Plug had rusted off. Might have rusted from the inside out, even waxed.

I wonder if the water had been or...  :beg  is still leaking down there. From these seams you describe.

Thats a GREAT tip.   tymote heartshower  tymote

:)(:

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 09:19:44 pm »
Your slide is different, can't tell you for sure.

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 11:21:28 am »
Folk, Iím not offended, I just find it. 

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 02:58:32 pm »
Folk, Iím not offended, I just find it. 

So do I.   Especially on a 2 year old $100,000+ product.

Any competent RV shop should be able to locate the entry point and seal it.   In particular, PC (if you wish to travel to Elkhart) should be quite familiar with the how and why leaks occur.
---
Don and Patti