ArtistView

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
Liquid Springs
« on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:32 pm »
Hello everyone - first post here. We currently own a Winnebago View, but when we replace it, Phoenix Cruiser is on my short list - especially if they begin using the new Ford engine and dash update. One of the features that drew me to PC is the availability of Liquid Springs. We have the VB Air Suspension on our View and are spoiled. I read one post here about them - anyone else have any experience with them?

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: October 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
Re: Liquid Springs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 08:32:18 pm »
Although I have only put about 1.5K miles on mine, I love the Liquid Spring ride.
Must also qualify by saying I have never driven a non-LS Phoenix Cruiser which I hear ride better than most all other Class C motor-homes.
The normal mode is great on highways and I switch to comfort mode on side streets. LS coupled with the Safe-T-Plus steering damper give a very comfortable driving experience.

Only a couple of small issues I have with LS:
The location and installation of the controller looks like an afterthought. Luckily PC left plenty of slack in the line so I was able to make a plastic bracket to mount it up where I can see it. The factory install just has it velcro'd down low on the dash.

Also, the LS can cause issues when using the HWH auto leveling system. LS must be turned off and I found that I first need to lower the rear end or the jacks cant get my rig level even on level ground.
I think my back end might be higher than most while in the driving position. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet. (see picture below)
I was warned at the factory about the potential to do damage by not turning LS off before auto leveling. I think there should be an interlock between the two systems to prevent damage.

I know most all of us here are biased, but I believe you can't go wrong with any Phoenix product. They still build a quality camper and not many of their competitors can live up to that claim.

Good luck!
Jim G.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:40:35 pm by jim.godfrey »

faiello

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 07/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Graystone/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:24:33 am »
Jim,

You have a great looking rig. Wow I was never told about turning off the LS before auto leveling. I will be doing that from now on, hope I haven't already damaged something. I only got to get away for 4 weekend trips this year now cant wait for spring to come and get back out there. My rig has been in for some warranty work at Campers Inn for 2 months it should be ready Monday for me to inspect and hopefully bring home. I'm glad they told me it was indoors during the snow we just had and will stay indoor until I pick it up.

Frank
Frank & Beth

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:16:31 pm »
Thank you Frank. Hope all goes well with your repairs. Will be curious to hear what you think about the Campers Inn experience.
I assume your rig is in Kingston NH?  Mind sharing what issues needed fixing? Two months hurts, good thing it is not camping season.
I got even less use of mine before covering it for the winter.  :'( Just a couple of nights and a couple of day trips.

It was Barry Hyser that told us about the LS  / HWH issue. Said if LS is left on the LS and HWI fight each other and can result in some twisting of the rig.
Sounded like it was a recent discovery and one that had not been anticipated. This was around October 12th that he told us.
Barry stopped short of saying they would look for some way to interlock the two systems but I'm sure if more people report problems, they will take care of it.

What do you think about your leveler performance? I was surprised that on my driveway with only a few inches of slope I could not get my rig level using the automatic levelers.
And if I don't put my LS into the lowest setting before turning it off, I can't get level even on level ground.
May see if I can lower the low LS height setting somehow to get more leveling. With the back so high, the front jacks cant raise up high enough to get the rig level.
In a couple of instances I was surprised to find when I looked under my rig after a failed leveling attempt that one of the front jacks wasn't even on the ground while the other was fully extended. (think twisting)
The HWH manual says that the last step of the leveling process is to make sure all jacks are down to stabilize the unit after leveling. But if the leveling attempt fails for any reason, this last step is skipped.
I admit I've got to learn more about this HWH system but right now I'm not thinking I'm in love with it. The effective range seems small for what we paid for it.

Would love for someone to chime in to let me know what I'm doing wrong because most every review I've read about the leveling system has been positive.

Was depressing this week seeing my camper under cover with a blanket of snow on it. Come on Spring!!!

ArtistView

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2350 Ford
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 10:16:25 pm »
Jim - thanks for the write up. I know some think suspension upgrades are a waste of money, but we love to drive our rig, especially on the less traveled roads and I think (rationalize some would say) that it is even a safety issue. In a couple of days we are heading south for 3 months to get out of the cold Iowa weather. Steve.

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
Jim,

Most of the repairs are minor so I waited until the end of the season to get done, weatherstripping on the emergency exit widow had an air gap about 1 inch long, fresh water slow draining replaced drain valve, one of the DC outlets on the dash kept pulling out when you disconnected something, missing remote for DVD player (You need this to adjust the surround sound otherwise it sounds awful), silverware tray needed to be replaced was cracked, replace rusty screw on awning support, replace cover and seal for bathroom fan they were defective (never leaked though), repair paint chipping between windshield and bubble above, replaced 2 cabinet doors and one draw front that where damaged when I purchased it, and not warranty I had them install the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. It took a long time to get the parts and authorization to do the repairs from Phoenix is what they told me.

As far as Campers Inn goes you need to keep calling them to get anything done. This is our first RV and I am told this is normal with dealers but not something I am use to and probably never will be. I know a lot of this I could have done myself but its a brand new RV and I paid a lot of money for something done right the first time.

Frank

Thank you Frank. Hope all goes well with your repairs. Will be curious to hear what you think about the Campers Inn experience.
I assume your rig is in Kingston NH?  Mind sharing what issues needed fixing? Two months hurts, good thing it is not camping season.
I got even less use of mine before covering it for the winter.  :'( Just a couple of nights and a couple of day trips.

It was Barry Hyser that told us about the LS  / HWH issue. Said if LS is left on the LS and HWI fight each other and can result in some twisting of the rig.
Sounded like it was a recent discovery and one that had not been anticipated. This was around October 12th that he told us.
Barry stopped short of saying they would look for some way to interlock the two systems but I'm sure if more people report problems, they will take care of it.

What do you think about your leveler performance? I was surprised that on my driveway with only a few inches of slope I could not get my rig level using the automatic levelers.
And if I don't put my LS into the lowest setting before turning it off, I can't get level even on level ground.
May see if I can lower the low LS height setting somehow to get more leveling. With the back so high, the front jacks cant raise up high enough to get the rig level.
In a couple of instances I was surprised to find when I looked under my rig after a failed leveling attempt that one of the front jacks wasn't even on the ground while the other was fully extended. (think twisting)
The HWH manual says that the last step of the leveling process is to make sure all jacks are down to stabilize the unit after leveling. But if the leveling attempt fails for any reason, this last step is skipped.
I admit I've got to learn more about this HWH system but right now I'm not thinking I'm in love with it. The effective range seems small for what we paid for it.

Would love for someone to chime in to let me know what I'm doing wrong because most every review I've read about the leveling system has been positive.

Was depressing this week seeing my camper under cover with a blanket of snow on it. Come on Spring!!!
Frank & Beth

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:42 am »
Jim
I put a question on liquid springs on the Tiffin forum to see if there is more info out there.  Only one response so far.  Here is a copy.

Ron S

Liquid Springs compatibility with Levelers
Post  by Sarz272000 Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm

A friend has a Class B+ with Liquid Springs and HWI auto levelers. He was warned if the LS is left on, the LS and HWI fight each other and can result in some twisting of the rig.

Does Tiffin use any kind of interlock for the two systems to prevent them from fighting each other? Anyone heard of this issue on a Tiffin?

Ron

Post  by G-Dad47 Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:07 pm

My understanding (from reading several posts and talking with an owner) is that it is an operator function to turn off the Liquid Springs system before leveling the MH.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 08:53:04 pm »
Thanks for that Ron!
This is going to be one of the first things I look into in the spring.

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 06:04:35 pm »
On Wednesday I was driving my PC with Liquid Springs to my dealer to have some warranty work done and was wondering why it riding so bad never felt this bad before then I looked down and saw I forgot to turn on the LS once I turned it on oooh my what a difference went from a constant earthquake to a nice smooth ride.Worth even penny they charge for it.
Frank & Beth

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 06:50:59 pm »
Hi Frank I concur with the LS endorsement. They certainly do ride nice. I would imagine in the off position the axle is just resting on the LS bumpers so there is not spring or shock absorption going on back there, so yea must be a terrible ride! Much worse than a non LS rig.

I hope your warranty repairs go much smoother and quicker than the last visit! 
I've got a short list of repairs that I will try to do myself in the spring because  they seem pretty doable and I don't have the patience to deal with dealers unless it is something major.
And as much as I  have enjoyed my travels to Elkhart so far, the repairs I know about so far repairs don't warrant a special trip.

Good Luck!