• Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Water leak behind passenger seat
« on: January 13, 2020, 05:31:59 pm »
 :help
Well with the warm weather this weekend and the snow melting off the roof of my PC I discovered water on my floor behind the passenger seat. They only place I can think of is the marker light right above the water entrance area but in that area is the end of the awning and the seam between the main roof and the front bubble. It under warranty and will be bringing it to Campers Inn to check it out but was wondering if they should look in any other places.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:34:02 pm by faiello »
Frank & Beth

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Aug, 2019
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Toast
Re: Water leak behind passenger seat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:07:41 pm »
Hello Frank
Not sure if your water intrusion issue is complicated by your PC not being level. If you physically didn't see the water coming in it is greatly influenced by the attitude of your PC. I had an issue with mine and it took me awhile to figure it out. I ended up putting paper towels down and then could see where the water had traveled from.  In my case it was the slide, It seems that the factory had an oversight and didn't calk anything that was bolted to the outside of the slide  pyho, So after I removed everything and sealed it up no more problems, I also found that whoever installed the window awning on that side added a couple extra holes under each awning support leg, they were covered by the mount but they were not sealed up.  Plus the awnings have a trim piece at the bottom of the support arms that a like a cup and gather water.  I took these off and drilled a drain hole in the bottom of them and put them back on. So far my problem is solved took half the day sealing up the awnings etc on the slide.

Good Luck! 

faiello

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 07/2019
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:44 pm »
I could post the picture from my phone file size was too large. The water is coming in under the carpeted backplate behind the passenger seat at floor level. I do not see any staining in the wall or the ceiling which leads me to the marker light. I will post the picture once I get to my computer tonight.
Frank & Beth

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 06:41:10 pm »
Ok I understand now a little more, this is the issue.  Your floor sits on top of a corrugated plastic cardboard. You can see it from the underside of the coach.  Water is probably making its way down to that layer through a leak from the wall It then travels to the low point which must be behind the passenger seat. What I would do is try and figure out what the attitude of the camper is, is it listing to the passenger side and down by the bow (front).  This would allow the water to travel towards that direction if it were leaking from the drivers side etc. You can also remove the transition strip between the carpet and floor material to see if that helps determine a direction of the water. If you get an idea of direction the water maybe traveling from then walk around the outside and take a close look at the hardware screwed to the walls on the outside, ensure it is calked up.  I used calk tape (butyl tape) under the hardware and then used clear silicone at the top of the hardware. I did both sides of the coach even the little clips that hold the compartment doors open.

I hope this helps,
Lance

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 08:22:38 pm »
Have Phoenix Cruisers always been leakers or is this something new?

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:16:14 am »
No, my 2015 2551 has never leaked.
---
Don and Patti

Tarnold

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Dec 2019
  • ModelYear: 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 02:02:42 pm »
Thing about water leaks is they can start anywhere and end up someplace else.  Packing for a trip this am and saw a very slight drip coming from the first cabinet on the right as you enter.  The sat cable emerges at that point.  Been raining here for 5 days, and thatís not an exaggeration.  On the roof, found a potential leak spot where the cable passes thru the roof.  Between rain got a hair dryer and dried up best I could.  Then a liberal application of dicor and hopefully thatís it.  Got a bucket over it now trying to deflect the rain.  Point is, check any and all cable entrances for possible cracks.  Water Once in can run most anywhere.

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 03:37:50 pm »
Just saw the picture, the water is on top of the floor? I thought you meant the carpet was just wet under by the passenger seat. Is the camper leaning to the passenger side? Mine started out very similar to yours then. I had to lay paper towels down to figure out where it was coming from.

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 04:10:19 pm »
ENGINEERLT

The rig is leaning towards the driver side that's why the first time I saw a puddle it was on the drivers side and some in the middle. This time I saw it I actually could see where the water was entering into the rig as you see in the photo. the carpeted kick plate was wet only where it met the floor. I had alot more water the first time than the second time I saw it. I am hoping it is as simple as removing the marker light clean it up and remount with some sealing tape or silicone.
Frank & Beth

Engineerlt

• A Little Project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 06:43:09 am »
Frank you may very well be correct, I noticed one hing about the PC, when water enters from something outside the only time you may see it is on the floor. The construction of the wall with the fiberglass and then foam keeps it away from the interior wall. Good luck I hope your don't have to travel very far to take it to Campers Inn.

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 10:04:01 am »
I dropped it of at Campers Inn this morning he is going to remove the marker light, clean and seal then remount they also he saw a place in the vertical seam between the awning arm and transition piece before the cab that could be the area it's getting in, They will reseal that as well. We are suppose to have some snow this weekend will let you know when it starts melting again. Fingers crossed.
Frank & Beth

Syd and Margo

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/11
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:48 pm »
I have heard of a previous owner having water come from awning rail, either where wire went thru or bolts that hold awning rail.
He said it was an easy fix.  Loosened awning rail and put silicone chalk to stop it. Leak showed up behind passenger seat.

lmichael

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 15, 2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sterling
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 10:16:20 pm »
Had same problem, same area.  Found gap in caulk on horizontal molding on front cap. 

GHS

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 04/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: Greystone/Nightscape
  • ExtColor: United States
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 05:50:12 am »
Had same problem, same area.  Found gap in caulk on horizontal molding on front cap.

I had the same also plus some. One major leak was where the antennae wires entered through the roof. Seal looked good but still leaked. Added more roof sealant but no luck. Finally taped the whole wire assembly along the roof and stopped the leak.

faiello

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 10:25:14 pm »
Campers Inn called today and said there were 3 places the they resealed in the vertical seam near the awning rail. They are storing the rig indoors this weekend since it's snowing and they want it to dry out. Monday or Tueday they will do a water test and get back to me.
Frank & Beth