• PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Shelf stable meals
« on: February 09, 2020, 07:15:52 am »
Looking for ideas for shelf stable meals for our time in the North Cascades. The closest real grocery is about an hour away. Major stores & shopping (Walmart, Costco, etc.) are 90 minutes away. We don't eat seafood so weeks of tuna salad is out. Our freezer will be reserved for meat.

Breakfast is hopefully covered. I make my own granola from dried or shelf stable goods and I'm hoping the little convenience store in Newhalem has milk so I can make yogurt. We use shelf stable almond milk for cereal.

Lunches will probably be pbj on home baked bread when store bought runs out. Cheese and crackers when we have cheese.

Trail snacks are bagged trail mix and granola bars. Fresh fruit whenever we can get it.

Suggestions for breakfast & lunch appreciated.

Now for dinner... This is the tough one as we like at least a little variety, we try not to eat a lot of preservatives and my dehydrator is back in Maryland. So far I've got:
   - canned pasta sauce over dried pasta
   - stove top stuffing with canned Costco chicken
   - quesadillas with canned Costco chicken, jarred salsa & cheese

I was in the army and DO NOT plan to eat MRE's or SOS! We may wind up with a few packaged backpack meals but don't plan to live on them.

Any ideas for foods/meals that don't require refrigerator or freezer?

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
Re: Shelf stable meals
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:29:00 am »
You mentioned on the other thread that you will be close to a convenience store.  Great!  Eggs eggs eggs!  Just pick up a dozen whenever you pass by.  Very versatile and fulfill lots of nutritional requirements.  Can make a little at a time so no leftovers.  Can combine with all sorts of stuff (bread, pasta, canned goods, fresh produce when available, cheese, yadayadayada...).
Enjoy your time.  Sounds like a wonderful spot.

dogyard

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 08/2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Beige
  • ExtColor: Desert
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:33:39 am »
In spite being a full-fledged carnivore I'm a huge fans of dried beans as they're so easy to transport, store and versatile.  Makes every meat dish double or triple, uses up those bones for stock for future meals, compliments any fresh veg you happen to come across and riffing on Carol's suggestion of eggs there's not a much better breakfast than eggs over easy on top of a tomato-bean shakshuka......

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:47:51 pm »
You may want to check out the North Bay Trading site (northbaytrading.com) to see if anything there might help out.

I use them primarily because they sell the best wild rice on the internet (their "Canadian Organic Wild Rice"), but they have huge selection of freeze-dried fruits and almost every type of freeze-dried and air-dried vegetable imaginable.  Dogyard mentions dried beans--North Bay Trading sells more than 30 different varieties of dried beans (many that I'd never heard of).  Not all are in stock at all times, but many are.

I can't vouch for pricing on most of the items, because I've never had occasion to compare prices for that type food.  The wild rice I buy is pretty pricey, but their Minnesota Grown is compatible with other sources.  I buy the wild-harvested Canadian because it's simply the best I've ever seen.  Reading various reviews, quite a few RV'rs use this company because of the convenience of the product.  Read the 30 or so reviews on the "Air Dried Mixed Veggies" for some ideas.

They are a small family-owned business located in Brule, Wisconsin, and they locally source and process most of their items themselves.  They have a reputation for quality, and everything I've purchased from them has been top-notch.  Don't know if those type products might fill a need for you, but it might be something to consider.

All the best,        Mike
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:19:34 pm by mikeh »

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 07:26:26 am »
Excellent suggestions, keep them coming. Not sure I can get milk and eggs at Newhalem but definitely hoping they'll have them. Plan to check next time we communicate with rangers. Newhalem is a company town (power company and government personnel only). They described the store as similar to gas station snack food. They will accept packages for us so Amazon and others (like North Bay) will be handling our main shopping.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 03:39:36 pm »
You may want to check out the North Bay Trading site (northbaytrading.com) to see if anything there might help out.
Showed John the website and he immediately placed an order. First item in the shopping cart was freeze dried broccoli - we're serious fresh veggie hogs and canned just doesn't excite us. The reviews sounded really good so we have high hopes. Thanks for the tip!

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:05:21 pm »
Have you thought about taking some pots of dirt and growing some tomatoes and lettuce , maybe some cucumbers or beans.  That sentence reminded me that bacon is available as shelf stable.  It really is just pre cooked bacon but vacuum sealed and obviously costs more but out of the box it takes up very little room.  Our son picked up a couple of those dehydrated meals at REI last summer, also not cheap.  He said they weren't bad.  It might not hurt to have a few for emergencies.  I'll keep trying to think of other ideas for you......

Patti
---
Don and Patti

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:47:05 pm »
Ramen Noodle Soup

:)
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 07:36:45 am »
Ron! Do you know how much salt is in that soup? Not good for you... That said, we always have it on board. It is a go-to item when we aren't well.   :)

Patti, Good tip on the bacon. I hadn't thought of that. Also a ton of salt but a tiny bit crumbled into food can really enhance blah stuff. I don't know if we'll have space for plants or if we would even get to harvest them. We'll check with the rangers. Does anyone know if bears are attracted to gardens? We'll be in heavy bear country. Even our grill has to go into a steel bear box.

Thanks all. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:24:18 am »
2 Frazzled,

That is why I finished with a smile.

As you had implicated, there are times when Ramen Noodle Soup is a nice consideration.  It's no worse than some other heat and serve options.  Especially "get satisfied quick" grab and eat options.  Just add 50% of the spice packet to reduce your salt intake.  It's still good tasting.

It is especially nice returning from a long hike in cooler temps with a chill in our bones.

We eat R.N.S. from large cheap plastic thermal mugs.  It cooks in the mugs and we eat from the mugs.  When finished, we only need to wash two dirty mugs and two dirty spoons.  Then later in the evening, we make our healthy meal.

Hey, it's also great survivor food.  And it weighs so little, never a worry of over-weighting your rig.

Again...   :)   :)   :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:40:46 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »
A baked potato (easy to do in the microwave) could stretch a small amount of broccoli and cheese in to a meal.  Potatoes keep awhile as long as they're kept cool, not cold and dry. 
The higher the fat content the longer milk will last.
It sounds like your biggest problem will be having fresh produce.  Do you have a cooler?  Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and romaine etc. could last awhile if left whole and uncleaned until you needed them.  A large Blue Ice block could be swapped out without taking up too much room in your freezer.
My mom always brought Dinty Moore stew on our camping trips.  It probably tastes better in the mountains !  We did get Hawaiian Punch (from concentrate back then), a real treat for us kids.  Hormel chili doesn't taste too bad.
French toast made from those 'poppin' fresh' cinnamon rolls makes a tasty Sunday morning breakfast.

Of course, as a child in the 60's there was always, powdered milk, powdered eggs, Tang  and Spam- eeewwww!
---
Don and Patti

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 05:43:18 pm »
And speaking of SPAM.
As a youngster my family would often camp for a weekend to two weeks. Station wagon, a couple of coolers, a tent, fishing gear and be gone.
Many of our meals came from a can. This was before ingredients were listed, I think, or no one cared. Our staples were canned corned beef, don't read the label, whole canned chicken, don't read this one either, and the list goes on of the same type goodies. You could tell it was chicken, because the label says so.
But other than that I have no suggestions other than sardines, but most of them are questionable also.
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.