• PurchDate: 1/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Blue
  • ExtColor: White and Blue
Confusion about the coach battery's
« on: February 14, 2020, 01:15:29 pm »
I thought on phoenix cruisers they use two 6 volt battery's for the coach. On my 2005 model 2900 there is only one battery in a slide out tray on the drivers side....is there another battery somewhere? There are no stickers on the battery so I am not sure what I have. This weekend I will put a volt meter on it. I assume when the coach is plugged in it is charging that battery?

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Confusion about the coach battery's
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 01:48:56 pm »
Earlier models used a single 12v battery. Yes, as long as your electrical system is working, when you are plugged in, running your generator or driving.... The coach battery will be charging.

You should get the battery load tested and make sure all cells have water to the cell fill mark.   That presumes its not a maintenance free type battery with no cell caps.
---
Don and Patti

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:10 pm »
Single 12v  grp27 deep cycle. Converter/charger s/b under the refrigerator if itís like the early model 2350, probably made by Parallax. If the charging circuit is dead you can just replace and upgrade the ďtrayĒ with a Progressive Dynamics multi-stage smart charger. Also installing an lcd voltmeter gauge (see Ron  Dittmerís  post) is a good idea. I put mine near the generator switch instead of the vent hood panel.

Off topic, but If your battery is completely dead the odds are the generator will probably need work too. Use a pass-thru socket to remove the fuel shut off solenoid and main jet assembly from the bottom of the float bowl. Spray it with carburetor cleaner then test it using a 12v battery charger. After you put the carburetor back together hold the generator start switch in the prime position for 30 seconds. The fuel tank needs to be above 1/4 full. The electric  fuel pump for the generator makes a loud ticking sound when itís dry.

Minor stuff, been there done that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:22:02 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

KL1aplay

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 1/2020
  • Model: 2900
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • IntColor: Blue
  • ExtColor: White and Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »
Thanks!
Yes, My inverter is under my refrigerator. The generator is a project for another day. It has 100 hours and will turn over but not fire? I do have over a 1/4 tank of gas.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 03:54:29 pm »
I donít think the 05 has an inverter. The converter just provides 12v DC when the motorhome is plugged into 110v AC .

The solenoid is probably all gummed up and stuck so it wonít retract to allow fuel into the carburetor. Itís a really bad design and a common problem. 100 hrs is light use, but change  the oil and spark plug too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:58:15 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 06:47:55 am »
Hi KL1aplay,

As others have mentioned, your 2005 model year has a single battery on the driver side.  Two batteries and the Tripp-Lite whole house inverter/charger was optional in late 2006 and a standard feature in 2007.

I have read from other PC owners with your battery compartment, if you remove the battery tray, the extra space gained will allow for two 12V batteries.  But because you sacrificed the tray, the new batteries need to be sealed.  It is an excellent opportunity to upgrade to AGM battery technology.  Doing so will require configuring your on-board charger for AGM via dip switches or jumpers.

BE SURE TO Pre-measure before assuming my information on fitting two 12V batteries is correct.  I might have it wrong.  You might be able to fit two 6V batteries in there, not two 12V.  Actually two 6V is better.  Regardless, they MUST BE sealed batteries.

Regarding your generator, you might be experienced and knowledgeable, but here are a few reminders on starting a stubborn generator.

- Be sure to begin with a fresh tank of gasoline.
- Make sure the generator's oil level is proper.
- Set the altimeter on the generator's carburetor to your elevation.  See the picture.
- Prime the carburetor 15 seconds before attempting to start.  Repeat as necessary.  Priming is done by holding in the start button in the opposite direction.  In our 2007 2350, when I hold in the primer, I can hear a very faint buzzing sound of the generator's electric fuel pump working.

Here is the altimeter.  It is located in the area of the carburetor.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:58:21 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer