damatoc

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2100
  • Slide: Yes
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1005 on: October 01, 2017, 02:13:32 pm »
Hi. I am excited to be part of the Phoenix Cruiser Forum. I will be visiting the Phoenix Cruiser factory in November and hope to order the 2910D. I have been looking at the web site almost everyday for a year now but the timing wasn't right until now. However, in a year and a half I will be retired and ready to take my big first trip.
I do have a question. I'm a bit concerned about outside storage. You know for the grill, two outside folding chairs, toolbox and an outdoor carpet. I won't always have a vehicle behind me and I don't want to clutter the inside of the camper. The one storage cabinet on the passenger side doesn't seem like it will fit all of those things. Suggestions? Thanks for giving the newbie some help.

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #1006 on: October 01, 2017, 02:32:56 pm »
Hello all!
My name is Susie and my husband's name is Gary. We saw our first PC in Rapid City last summer. Since that time, we've been doing our homework, making decisions and have even visited the factory 3 times!

We currently own a 39' Class A diesel pusher (Holiday Rambler Endeavor) and have decided that it is time to downsize. We aren't getting any younger, and we are ready to simplify our travels and make things easier for ourselves. We knew we wanted to downsize, but nothing was acceptable to us until we found the PC. Now we are getting our ducks in a row to do it.

In May 2018, we will be visiting the factory to order our new 3100. We have been in contact with Earl, and we have decided we'll probably have them start the production such that it ends up being a model year 2019 coach (receive it by the end of September 2018).

Did I say we are excited?!!!  2o2  (cheer)  :-D

Glad to be here!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:48:26 pm by Free2RV »

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #1007 on: October 01, 2017, 10:50:31 pm »
I'm a bit concerned about outside storage. You know for the grill, two outside folding chairs, toolbox and an outdoor carpet. I won't always have a vehicle behind me and I don't want to clutter the inside of the camper.
Hi Damatoc!  Welcome!  To answer your question:  Depends on what grill of course.  In the back passenger bin I have our two folding chairs, the carpet, hiking shoes and walking poles, rain coats, shovel, jack pads, some bits of lumber for leveling, a bucket, a net and some other odds & ends.  No grill but I could get a baby Q in there on the shelf.  My tool bag goes in the forward passenger side bin along with a spare hose and some spare parts.

No, this is not a class A with tons underneath storage, but if you are careful and creative it still fits more than we have needed so far.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:41:12 am by jatrax »

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Maple
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #1008 on: October 02, 2017, 03:40:12 am »
 Howdy Cruisers!

First off , I  want to say thank you to Aimee for granting me permission to come aboard . I  completely understand the need to be vigilant against hackers and spammers that bombard forums like this with bogus registration requests.

The DW and I found our  ideal motorhome 2 years ago in Orange, CA , a 2003 model 2350 with the  slide-out and   power tri-fold sofa options.  
We owned a Winnebago Rialta corner bed model but were  tired of  the Volkswagen parts and service game.

We are thrilled with the 2350's layout and the ammount of comfort and big rig features Phoenix engineered  into a compact 23' x 93" motorhome. The 158" E350 wheelbase is the same as a Rialta for easy handling around hairpin curves and in tight spaces, but having big water tanks, a full size refrigerator, a  dry bathroom with a real shower, a reclining sofa, and a real bed all in a compact rig is AWESOME !!!  With the permanent corner bed we don't even need to use the slideout unless  we are staying a bit longer and want to enjoy the amazing additional living space up front.  We love the  easy handling, quiet ride, and 11 mpg   that the lower roof height and aerodynamic design delivers with  reliable,  adventure anywhere Ford V10 power.

Our 2003 model 2350 is an oddball because it was built with the current generation (2004 and newer) style  dry bathroom with separate shower, and the 1st generation style rear coachwork and enclosed  tv cabinet over the cab. I converted the tv cabinet into additional storage with a pair of large stacking drawer style storage bins behind the original roll-up door, and installed   a 12v  19" LCD tv  on the angled transition wall between the passenger seat and coach door by adapting a  ceiling mount tv bracket to an  under cabinet mount.

After a new set of Bridgestone Duravis R500HD tires and Duallyvalves, the first mod  was a Hellwig rear sway bar from Summit Racing. Next was a Scanguage (programmed to add transmission temperature), a Yada wireless back-up camera, a Lloyd Rubbertite one piece floor mat , a pair of Elbow Friends for the door armrests, a Camco vent shade for the fantastic fan, an over-the-door towel rack for the bathroom, and a new memory foam mattress from Same Day  RV Maresss. I also replaced the heavy pedestal  table with a  sturdy 25" x 19"   Tablemate XL folding table.

Time and  California sunshine  had destroyed the original  vinyl striping, so that was all removed and custom painted  in  blue jeans metallic over dark shadow grey metallic.

These superbly designed , well built compact motorhomes are the complete package and should become even more coveted when Ford discontinues the E-series cutaway chassis. Thanks Phoenix 2o2
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:49:06 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

Janey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • ExtColor: Cafe
« Reply #1009 on: October 02, 2017, 04:43:07 am »
There are several ex-Rialta owners whoíve switched to a PC.  Weíre one of them.  One of the major reasons is the height.  Our 2350 is awesome.  We LOVE it. Hey - donít think I didnít love my rialtaís - all three (in consecutive years), but we changed for the same reasons you did. Parts were hard to find and there were too many little surprise problems popping up in its maturing years. For the mechanically oriented person, itís perfect.  But our PC is pure heaven!   

Janey (from the yahoo Rialta groups - circa 1996+)
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

David Rotelle

« Reply #1010 on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:14 am »
Damatoc,

We have a 2016 2910 with rear twin beds. Our outside storage compartment under the passenger side bed is longer because of the bed.
If you email me directly I can send you some pictures of the storage area.

I'm not sure why but I was not able to email you directly.

Dave

CalCruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 03, 2017, 11:43:27 pm »
Hi Janey

Itís great  to be cruising with The Blue Oval  2o2
Most  Rialta Yahoo group members would be SOL without TXpigeon and the Baldy pages !

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:49:18 pm by CalCruiser »

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #1012 on: October 05, 2017, 07:14:36 pm »
Cal, who's Baldy? The guy who runs SmugMug?
John and Carol

CalCruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 05, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
Cal, who's Baldy? The guy who runs SmugMug?

Baldy is the Patron Saint of Rialta owners  :help   http://www.rialtainfo.com/

Janey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • ExtColor: Cafe
« Reply #1014 on: October 05, 2017, 09:06:27 pm »
I was lucky enough to communicate with the Baldy for many years.  He was one of a kind.  He was from California - when you tilted the US, thatís where all the nuts rolled - his words.   He also traveled with his rock collection.  Think about that - the Rialta was overloaded before you even put your living stuff in it.  However, he really knew his Moho. I learned a lot from him.  He started a massive collection of Rialta knowledge - carried on and added to by ďtaxPigeonĒ aka as Duane. We need someone like that in our PC group.

Janey (a Rialta girl in my heart)
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

RVCamping

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/2017
  • Slide: No
  • ExtColor: Nightscape full body paint
« Reply #1015 on: November 10, 2017, 06:50:56 pm »
Ok this is our first post although we have been reading the forum since ordering our PC in September. The forum has really been helpful and today we have changed our order from a 2551 to a no slide 2552, we think. We heard from Earl today that he produced two or three 2552s this year without a slide. We would love to hear some comments from any of their new owners.
Yes, our last name really is Camping, truly a name that works. We look forward to being part of the PC family. - Dick
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:02:39 pm by RVCamping »

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #1016 on: November 11, 2017, 02:34:09 pm »
Hi Dick and welcome.  I suspect you will get varied comments on your question about a slide.  I know some forum members that refuse to have one for various reasons (fear of leaks, desire for a wider dinette, etc).   Personally I have the 2552 with slide, (and a bunch of customizations) and would not want a motorhome without the slide.  The extra space that opens up once parked and setup is quite amazing.

I would say that if you plan on traveling a lot, daily perhaps, and rarely set up in one place for a week then the simplicity of no slide might be an advantage.  But I will keep my slide.

Make sure you get signed up for the Phoenix Cruiser Travel Club when you take delivery.  Phoenix should include the paperwork in your packet and cover the dues the first year.  Our website is here: http://phoenixcruisertravelclub.org/  Our rally will be in Duluth MN next September.

RVCamping

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/2017
  • ExtColor: Nightscape full body paint
« Reply #1017 on: November 12, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome Jatrax. I agree with you on the impressive difference that a slide can make, my concern however is structural in nature. The coach's shell is undoubtedly stronger and more resistant to twisting stresses without the large slide hole in it. We opted for the 4x4 chassis and we will occasionally be going "off pavement", think gravel roads not jeep trail. Will that type of usage accelerate the squeaks, rattles, jamming and water leaks that slides are known for? Would it be better to just go w/o the slide for the added stiffness and less problems? Comments are welcome from those that have driven these types of roads and have experience with the toll it takes on the coach.
Joining the PCTC will definitely happen soon after our rig is delivered in April. - Dick

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #1018 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:18 pm »
The coach's shell is undoubtedly stronger and more resistant to twisting stresses without the large slide hole in it.
Personally I think that is one of those things that sounds like it should be true but in the real world it just doesn't make any significant difference.  At least in how the Phoenix Cruiser is built.  The exterior walls are just a 1.5" sandwich with fiberglass on the outside and foam inside.  Cutting holes in that sandwich does not significantly reduce the structural integrity.

I live inside the national forest and most of the roads are gravel or un-maintained deteriorating asphalt, I have seen no issue with squeaks or rattles beyond what we hear on the interstate.  You might ask Kermit if he thinks there is any significant additional stiffness without the slide.  He is the only one who would actually know.  My opinion is there is some, but in the real world not enough to make any difference.  Much of the strength is actually the interior cabinet work which is secured to both the floor and side panels thus tying everything together.

There are reasons to not want a slide but I think structural integrity is not one of them.  They have been putting slides into RVs for many years with no issues.

PS.  Most of the gravel roads I travel on are actually in better shape than many of the interstates as far as potholes, cracks, bumps and such causing rattles.  Of course Jeep trails are another story.

I am a little jealous about your 4x4, I saw two of those at the factory and thought they looked awesome!  My copilot nixed the idea before I even said it. ;)

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #1019 on: November 13, 2017, 07:54:27 am »
Hi Dick Camping,

Welcome!

As jatrax implied, I wonder if you will ever go into 4x4 mode on gravel roads.  We travel often on such roads with our standard 2WD and not once did I wish we have a 4x4.  Your profile says you live in upstate NY.  If your plans are to put lots of highway miles to get out west and back home, you might want to ping current 4x4 owners, asking how the chassis handles on the open road.  They do stand taller which is naturally a negative influence.  I would imagine there is some sacrifice in the quality of the ride as well.

We tow a 4x4 Jeep.  I suppose if we ever got into trouble, the Jeep could help pull the PC out of trouble.  I never considered looking into a front tow hook for our PC, but this reply of mine has the gears in my head turning.  Pulling from behind would not be an issue utilizing the tow bar.

As far as a slide out is concerned, if you know much about me, I am not a lover of slide outs.  But we don't have a need as some people do.  I could see a slide out being beneficial if we were a couple who love to eat a lot more food than we should, have pets, and stay in one place for a long time.  We tend to move often and nor do we hang out at our campsite during the day.  We are out daily in the tow vehicle.  We often get home just in time to make dinner, cleanup, watch a movie, and then get to bed.  If our trips were often setting up camp and staying put, I could see that changing my feelings, nixing the benefits in avoiding a slide out.

One thing about any PC and the slide out.  If having a dinette, it will be much bigger without a slide out because of the additional wall space from both the slide out and also the angled transition wall behind the driver.  The 2552 dinette without a slide out, will be bigger than our 2350 no slide dinette SEEN HERE with standard cloth cushions, later changed to vinyl with memory foam.  Our dinette works well, but it would work much better being another 6" longer.  A bigger table and more leg room are the main benefits.  A longer conversion bed will also benefit.  I've slept on the dinette conversion bed when fallen ill on a trip, so there is a rare need to utilize it for us with a double bed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:06:12 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer