• NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/16
  • Model: 2910
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cream
  • ExtColor: brown
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1125 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:03 am »
I'm Rick Leddon. I bought a 2910, 2012. I am 65 years old and have wanted a rv since I was 22 years old. Took all these years to finally get it done. I decide on the Phenix Cruiser 3 years ago, researched it to death and shopping for the right one. Finally found it in Tampa at a Camping World lot. It had 36000 miles on it. We flew to Tampa from Dallas and drove it back. Spent the first night at the rv lot and the second night at a Walmart parking lot in Hattiesburg MS. I then parked the rv and didn't use it for 15 months. It needed some work to get ready, but we jumped in and started prepping it. New batteries, new carb for generator, some wiring damage due to mice (I hope they were mice.

We were off to a vintage dune buggy event in Nevada, with a stop in Arizona. Had a great time, but still on a learning curve. Second trip, four months later, off to the Smoky Mountains for another dune buggy event. 5 days then to Florida, where my wife had a 4 day convention. Parked the rv and checked in to the Marriott in Orlando. From there to the panhandle of Florida and a stop in Vicksburg Ms.

Next trip Outer banks and maybe New England.

I have a number of questions and will start posting and asking for advise. At some point I hope to be the one giving advise to the new guys. This seems to be a great group of people and I look forward to being involved.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #1126 on: September 25, 2018, 07:08:43 pm »
I'm Rick Leddon. I bought a 2910, 2012. I am 65 years old and have wanted a rv since I was 22 years old. Took all these years to finally get it done. I decide on the Phenix Cruiser 3 years ago, researched it to death and shopping for the right one. Finally found it in Tampa at a Camping World lot. It had 36000 miles on it. We flew to Tampa from Dallas and drove it back. Spent the first night at the rv lot and the second night at a Walmart parking lot in Hattiesburg MS. I then parked the rv and didn't use it for 15 months. It needed some work to get ready, but we jumped in and started prepping it. New batteries, new carb for generator, some wiring damage due to mice (I hope they were mice.

We were off to a vintage dune buggy event in Nevada, with a stop in Arizona. Had a great time, but still on a learning curve. Second trip, four months later, off to the Smoky Mountains for another dune buggy event. 5 days then to Florida, where my wife had a 4 day convention. Parked the rv and checked in to the Marriott in Orlando. From there to the panhandle of Florida and a stop in Vicksburg Ms.

Next trip Outer banks and maybe New England.

I have a number of questions and will start posting and asking for advise. At some point I hope to be the one giving advise to the new guys. This seems to be a great group of people and I look forward to being involved.

Buggy Pic. Please.       :-D

Pappy T

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2551
« Reply #1127 on: November 11, 2018, 10:26:51 pm »
Hi to all , making my first post to get the ball rolling ! Have been poking around the forum for a little while searching for answers and came up with a few answers but , still have a handful . Sent a couple questions to Phoenix central a week ago and haven't heard back , I take it their communication commander is a little off ?! Anyhow , wife and I are from near Chicago area ( 45 miles N/W ) in McHenry county . We have a Winnebago Trend , 23D model , and it isn't too bad ( 24' ) kind of knew as time went on and got a bit more seasoned to rv' ing  it would likely lead to wanting or needing a bit more room ! Like not being too wide at a couple, maybe, inches narrower than a Phoenix or too long either so as to not being too restricted where we would like to go . Phoenix fits the bill ... so far . Missed talking to a P owner in Iowa last August at park we were at, didn't see it til we were pulling out heading to Colorado , with a few stops along the way !
Have been strongly considering the 2551 model , like the 2552 but the wheelbase concerns me some for getting around some tighter spots , it being about a foot longer yet. Drove big trucks a long time and some smaller ones too , maneuvering around too much isn't much fun anymore . 
Seeing too that Ford will be dropping the V-10 next year might be a worthwhile wait too, 7.? V-8 with a couple more gears in trans maybe rear gears a little lower should improve MPG , maybe not much but a little better .
If the 2551 crowd would throw a shout back, that'd be cool , even though a lot of similarities between models..I'm about utubed out too !   
Outside storage is probably my first concern , amazing what we can fit now , wouldn't want to loose any part of that at least when upgrading and really surprised there isn't that much info out there on that , opportunity for utubers to make an appearance here ! What can you fit in there ??
 Thanks for the space here and reading up , looks to be a really helpful And fun group here , happy motoring ,  Pappy T  :)

leeloek

• View Profile
  • Model: 2100
Hello - and...Late to Winterize...
« Reply #1128 on: November 12, 2018, 10:24:45 am »
Hello,

My name is Lee Anne and I have a 2014 2551. And, I have a problem... I am late with my winterizing. I have a call into a local RV dealer who does service. I think I need it in a heated bay to thaw what might be frozen and be winterized. I took one weekend trip the last weekend of October -  the gray and black tanks were emptied.I had some water in the stool which is liquid with a little ice ball.The coach is presently plugged in with the furnace and tank heater running.

I travel for work a lot - that's the reason but certainly not an excuse for not getting it done. After watching Earl's video I felt I could do it. However, I cannot find the bypass for the water heater although I found the access for the fresh water tank under one bed. Thankfully, nothing seems to have burst but I know I'm really close to major damage if I don't get this resolved.

So - that's the plan. The question is, where is the bypass for the water heater on a 2014 2551?

Thank you.
Lee Anne

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
Re: Hello - and...Late to Winterize...
« Reply #1129 on: November 12, 2018, 12:32:32 pm »
So - that's the plan. The question is, where is the bypass for the water heater on a 2014 2551?

Thank you.
Lee Anne

I expect you would get more responses on this if posted in the general topics section. I don't have a 2551. My rig is a 2017 2552 and the bypass and low water points are reached by taking out the lowest kitchen drawer nearest the water heater.
Mike & Pat Astley,

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 12, 2018, 12:45:46 pm »

Have been strongly considering the 2551 model , like the 2552 but the wheelbase concerns me some for getting around some tighter spots , it being about a foot longer yet. Drove big trucks a long time and some smaller ones too , maneuvering around too much isn't much fun anymore . 
Seeing too that Ford will be dropping the V-10 next year might be a worthwhile wait too, 7.? V-8 with a couple more gears in trans maybe rear gears a little lower should improve MPG , maybe not much but a little better .
If the 2551 crowd would throw a shout back, that'd be cool , even though a lot of similarities between models..I'm about utubed out too !   
Outside storage is probably my first concern , amazing what we can fit now , wouldn't want to loose any part of that at least when upgrading and really surprised there isn't that much info out there on that , opportunity for utubers to make an appearance here ! What can you fit in there ??
 Thanks for the space here and reading up , looks to be a really helpful And fun group here , happy motoring ,  Pappy T  :)

Pappy T: You're right that the longer wheelbase of the 2552 makes for a longer turning radius and I wondered about that going from a 27' Born Free which had a shorter wheelbase. I haven't had any issues with adapting turns as yet and have made several U-turns, typically into a three lane. Remember that the extra wheelbase provides more stability and while I had to add several mods to the Born Free to get that stability, it was there from the start with the 2552. The switch also caused a changed from a solid mix of inside and outside storage to heavily tilted to inside storage, and with the 2552 I feel we actually have more room overall and more easily accessed particularly for stuff we use often. The downside is that big items could be stored in the Born Free in the overhead bunk area and there is limited space for big items in the 2552. Hopefullly someone will reply with thoughts on the 2551.

..Mike
Mike & Pat Astley,

Pappy T

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 12, 2018, 03:19:16 pm »
Thanks Mike , outside storage now consists of a little gas grill,couple accordion fold up lawn chairs , level blocks and some smaller stuff . If that can be realized on side storage of 51/52  happy momma ! I guess the rear ' trunk ' isn't that deep to put a lawn chair like that , is it ?   Can't wait to see one to get a handle on it .  I can appreciate the better ride with the longer wheelbase , like a short box pick up vs a long box , hats off to Earl for getting that down ! Inside storage compared to what we have now seems like more than adequate , not going bigger to be able to carry more stuff just spread it around a little better .
Anyone have a factory installed solar system ? Haven't quite picked up on that reading around . Have it on ours and really like it , having dry camped in Big Bend Tx , Rocky Mtn Nat park , Joshua Tree ,  and a couple others , good to go .  Thanks again ! Pappy T   

Pappy T

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 12, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »
P S , forgot to ask how long the overhang in back is , from wheel to bumper .. Thanks !

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 13, 2018, 06:20:22 pm »
Pappy T: On the mid passenger side the outside cabinet is 34.5L X 16W X 13.25H (I happen to store tools and an extra water hose there with room remaining). The back passenger has an upper door/shelf of 42 X 16 X 20" (but the door is only 14" high) (I store two of those basic style camp chairs there. Lots of vertical room remaining, not using it efficiently). The lower drawer is 34.5 X 20.75 X 11 ( I have this one filled: air compressor, water hose with pressure gauge, box of various black tank stuff, sewer hose, tire kit, and lots of misc.) The back compartment is 55 X 5.25 X 25 as you can see its very narrow. ( I store the power cable, TV cable, flush hose, collapsing cone and emergency flashers here) I believe if you don't get the spare tire option this cabinet is somewhat bigger.

The dimensions will give you and idea of the outside storage size. Folks vary widely how they utilize it.

The overhang from mid-back-tire to the back is approximately 100". There are roll bars below the back and I have only hit them a couple of times over the year and a half we have had it. (The Born Free sat a little lower and had a longer overhang and I would hit the rollers almost every day)

Solar: I had an external company add mine (AMSolar) as they were flexible with their options and specialized in RV solar. At the time, PC had only one system as an option and it wasn't what I wanted. There has been many changes since then so you would have to talk with PC or a recent purchaser about current options.

...Mike

Mike & Pat Astley,

Pappy T

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 15, 2018, 10:19:17 am »
Thanks again Mike ! Compared dimensions to what we have and it definitely takes a load off my mind . Now onto the next phase of research ! 
I asked about and never got a reply back from P , and that was regarding insulated windows . Are they acrylic or glass ?? Saw others advertised online with them but they didn't show how they looked, some have a big white frame inside that wasn't exactly good looking . So , if anyone would be kind enough to chime in on this one I can move on to another
 part of research !

Also , anyone going to Texas , Az , N M this winter ?  We leave out around the 1st and get back late March early April , maybe tag up along the way ?!  Thinking if weather permitting on return to stop by P headquarters in Indiana too . 

TzrNPeg

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/27/2018
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Mostly grey (silver?) and white with swirls
« Reply #1135 on: November 15, 2018, 05:00:23 pm »
Thanks again Mike ! Compared dimensions to what we have and it definitely takes a load off my mind . Now onto the next phase of research ! 
I asked about and never got a reply back from P , and that was regarding insulated windows . Are they acrylic or glass ?? Saw others advertised online with them but they didn't show how they looked, some have a big white frame inside that wasn't exactly good looking . So , if anyone would be kind enough to chime in on this one I can move on to another
 part of research !

I have insulated windows on my 2552 and they look just like regular windows - at least to me. 

Peg

Pappy T

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 15, 2018, 07:32:23 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Peg and congrats on the new van ! Do you know the manufacturer of those windows and or if they're acrylic or not ?  Hopefully you're in Florida ,or someplace warm , had snow around Chicago area today more on the way , not a lot but it's still a 4 letter word  :'(   Pappy T !

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:44 pm »
They appear to be two layers of glass. Not sure what is between them as there is a rubbery seal around them.

Don't know the manufacturer.

The fire escape window, I believe though, is not a double pane..based upon it getting colder than the others...not from inspection as I am a little spooked about pushing out that window as at some point it comes off.

..Mike
Mike & Pat Astley,

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007