• Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1170 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:47 pm »
Hello,
We have just purchased a very nice 2013 PC 2910D and are excited to get started part time RVing this year.  Since we are just getting started, we would appreciate any advice and recommendations about getting local service and or repair help here in the middle TN area.  We live in Brentwood/Nashville, so if there is anyone that can offer recommendations good or bad, thanks in advance for your help!

Donna & Larry F

Welcome!  hithere

mikeh

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #1171 on: April 15, 2019, 06:15:56 pm »
Hi Donna and Larry!

I'm sorry that I can't be of help with local information for the middle Tennessee area, but Welcome! to the forum anyway.  Always great to have a new Phoenix owner clock in, and in general you will find a lot of willingness to help in any way possible.  Don't be shy about asking.

All the best,       Mike

BetsyA

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2100
Re: HI I'm Betsy interested in a small Phoenix Cruiser
« Reply #1172 on: April 17, 2019, 01:30:50 pm »
HI All,

I'm a few years from retirement and starting to think about the best RV to do extensive RVing in in retirement.

I was very excited about  molded Fiberglass Trailers, but have decided I do not want to pull, unhitch , level  rehitch a trailer.  I have come to the conclusion a small Class C or Class B+  is the way to go.

I have heard diesel engines are more expensive to maintain and Mercedes more expensive upfront and to maintain.  Therefore I think I am most interested in the Ford chasis gas models.

Were there other Class C s you considered and why did you decide on the Phoenix Cruiser?

Really looking forward to hearing from Phoenix Cruiser owners--are you happy with your puchase?  Do you wish you had bought something else?

Betsy

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #1173 on: April 17, 2019, 02:35:10 pm »
Hi Betsy,

I am sending you a private message.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:09 pm »
Hi Betsy, and welcome to the forum!

As you might imagine, asking that series of questions to a forum largely populated by Phoenix Cruiser owners, I think that the feedback that you get will be strongly skewed to folks happy with their Phoenix Cruiser purchase--but that won't only be because they happened to buy a Phoenix Cruiser!  I don't know how many of the 125 pages of forum "General Discussion" topics you have reviewed, but while researching my own decision of what RV to buy, I read most of them.  There are many, many experienced RVers in those pages that have upsized, downsized, and resized into a Phoenix Cruiser--from camper vans, trailers, Class A's, Class B's other Class C's--and largely, largely, largely, they extol their move into the PC as a good decision.

I always knew I wanted a motorized RV rather than a trailer, and once I knew it would be a Class B+/C type unit I went through the same considerations as you regarding diesel; after considering the $15K+ premium and potential upkeep challenge for the Mercedes chassis, I arrived at the Ford gas unit as most practical for the same reasons you have.  I did review a lot of other Class C units in my search for an RV, but except for a couple of visits to large dealerships where I looked at several brands, most of my research was online.  I was taken, however, with how uniformly the mass manufactured and mass marketed Class C units were identified with terms such as poorly built, cheap materials, thrown together, superficial, etc, by more experienced RVers and buyers.  There are two or three exceptions which consistently stand out, of course, and a quick review of their pricing shows that in RV's as in many commercial things, "you get what you pay for".  To make a long story short, after about three years of careful and extensive review, I was convinced that the Phoenix Cruiser units might be the single best combination of a quality-built coach (built one at a time in a small manufacturing setting by a handful of long-term, experienced employees) with reasonable factory-direct pricing.  The other 2 or 3 generally recognized high-quality, carefully-built B+/C units are considerably more expensive than Phoenix, and the Cruiser quality/price sweet spot, along with being able to deal directly with the factory to customize my build and for future support sealed the deal for me with Phoenix.

I'm unsure where you're located in Illinois, but if/when time permits, a trip to visit Phoenix "next door" in Elkhart would assist you greatly in understanding the company and their RV's.  They are glad to welcome guests, show you their manufacturing operation, and provide the opportunity to thoroughly inspect their units.

Again, welcome, and all the best,            Mike 

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 18, 2019, 06:17:29 am »
.......I was convinced that the Phoenix Cruiser units might be the single best combination of a quality-built coach (built one at a time in a small manufacturing setting by a handful of long-term, experienced employees) with reasonable factory-direct pricing.  The other 2 or 3 generally recognized high-quality, carefully-built B+/C units are considerably more expensive than Phoenix, and the Cruiser quality/price sweet spot, along with being able to deal directly with the factory to customize my build and for future support sealed the deal for me with Phoenix.
Well stated!

That is what I concluded back in 2007 and it holds true to this day.  I do think the recent price hike reduces the gap a bit with the higher priced competition.  But still I feel still Phoenix is in a sweet spot between quality & price, but is nudged more upward.

I also am  2o2 regarding the E450 chassis.
What a value!!!
And ideal for the application!!!
Get past the niceties the Sprinter offers, and look at the core values of quality, reliability, durability, capability, ease of and low cost of maintenance, price, and the E450 is the winner by leaps and bounds.

The only matter in buying "any" new motor home including a Phoenix Cruiser, you may need to invest a few thousand dollars extra in suspension upgrades to heavy duty versions of shock absorbers, front & rear stabilizer bars, and a steering stabilizer.  I feel Ford should include them in their E-series RV package, but that is not the case.

For PC models 2100, 2350, and 2400, I do wonder how the E450 works for them.  The front suspension might benefit from a change to Ford's lower coil spring rate of the E350.  On those 3 models, most of the weight rests on the rear axle.  The front is quite light by comparison so a lower spring rate will physically lower the front to level out the rig, provide a better wheel alignment, and also a better ride.

We own a 2007 E350 Phoenix model 2350, and I wonder if even our PC would benefit from the next lower Ford coil spring rate in our front suspension.  Our front end rides a bit too high as you can see in this picture, so much that the suspension shop doing the front end alignment had to use offset bushing to compensate for it.  That was addressing the symptom rather than the cause.  We don't have a slide out which lightens our front suspension even more.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:19:48 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
« Reply #1176 on: April 19, 2019, 06:13:32 am »
Besides build quality vs price and the broader repair availability for a Ford E450 vs a Mercedes Diesel, two other big points for me was an active user forum (very useful for mod ideas and how to fix something) and the fact that Phoenix would do some customization as requested (Never could find an RV that was just right. Being able to customize it some doesn't necessarily get it to perfect but a whole lot closer!)
Mike & Pat Astley,

Toaster

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/2/2019
« Reply #1177 on: April 20, 2019, 07:40:40 pm »
Welcome to the Phoenix family and forum.  We took delivery of our in March and have found the forum to be a great group of people who are very knowledgable and willing to share that knowledge. 
Gary & Kristy
North Carolina
2019  2552 
Full Body Paint - Toast

Junior & B

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 04/2019
  • IntColor: Graystone with Hickory
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #1178 on: April 21, 2019, 03:02:03 pm »
Hello Hello Hellooo! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Let me start by thanking you all for this very detailed, insightful, helpful and useful forum. Primarily due to what I've learned here, B and I decided to pull the trigger on a new 2350. We expect the business end to be finalized this upcoming week and then confirm a pick-up date. We actually only just returned from Elkhart this afternoon, yesterday's tour being the deciding factor for B. When I told her a couple week's ago that we were going to spend our 29th anniversary touring a factory, she  roflol  and gave me the side eye. She was still laughing on the flight there Friday evening and the short drive over yesterday morning. By the time we left in the evening, I got a  2o2  and a  ((hug)) .  We've always done the jazz festivals, family trips and weekend jaunts in minivans/SUV and hotels/resorts. With our youngest graduating college next month, we're going to be empty-nesting in style.

Live Long & Prosper,
Junior
LLAP

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 21, 2019, 04:23:25 pm »
Welcome, Welcome to Junior and B!!  Youngest one graduating college, a visit to Elkhart, and buying a new Phoenix Cruiser---what an exciting time for you guys!

We all started out as lurkers, but it's always great to see a lurker turn into another contributor to the forum.  Before you know it, you guys will be providing advice to others that have questions about purchasing a PC, or that have various issues with their RV.  That's what keeps the forum alive and such a helpful tool.  In the meanwhile, don't be shy with any questions that the forum might help with, and keep us updated on your new 2350!

Welcome again, and all the best,        Mike

Junior & B

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 04/2019
  • IntColor: Graystone with Hickory
« Reply #1180 on: April 23, 2019, 09:38:33 am »
Welcome, Welcome to Junior and B!!  Youngest one graduating college, a visit to Elkhart, and buying a new Phoenix Cruiser---what an exciting time for you guys!

We all started out as lurkers, but it's always great to see a lurker turn into another contributor to the forum.  Before you know it, you guys will be providing advice to others that have questions about purchasing a PC, or that have various issues with their RV.  That's what keeps the forum alive and such a helpful tool.  In the meanwhile, don't be shy with any questions that the forum might help with, and keep us updated on your new 2350!

Welcome again, and all the best,        Mike

Thanks for the welcome Mike. Much appreciated. I'm not shy about asking questions and I know basic forum etiquette of searching first before asking :) . I'll be sure to add a picture of the rig when we pick her up. Thanks again.
LLAP

Toaster

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/2/2019
« Reply #1181 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:42 am »
Welcome Junior & B!

Congratulations on all these big life events you are experiencing!  We are also new PC owners having taken delivery of our 2552 in March.  We have found this forum to be very welcoming with tons of good information.  Be sure to post a picture of your new rig when you take delivery.  Happy Travels!

Gary & Kristy
Gary & Kristy
North Carolina
2019  2552 
Full Body Paint - Toast

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #1182 on: April 24, 2019, 08:10:10 am »
Welcome Junior & B
Welcome.  This is a great place to be. Safe travels.
Ron S

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 24, 2019, 11:20:40 am »
I just wanted to say
(w)
to all the recent newcomers, both seasoned RV owners and those new to RVing.  Glad you are participating, not just lurking.  Don't be shy.  No question is a dumb one.  We have all been RV rookies (and PC rookies) ourselves.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

LAF32

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: March 2019
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: NIghtscape
« Reply #1184 on: April 27, 2019, 06:57:06 pm »
Hello,
We have just purchased a very nice 2013 PC 2910D and are excited to get started part time RVing this year.  Since we are just getting started, we would appreciate any advice and recommendations about getting local service and or repair help here in the middle TN area.  We live in Brentwood/Nashville, so if there is anyone that can offer recommendations good or bad, thanks in advance for your help!

Donna & Larry F

Welcome!  hithere
Hi Donna and Larry!

I'm sorry that I can't be of help with local information for the middle Tennessee area, but Welcome! to the forum anyway.  Always great to have a new Phoenix owner clock in, and in general you will find a lot of willingness to help in any way possible.  Don't be shy about asking.

All the best,       Mike
Thank you Mike!  We will be watching and learning.  Donna & Larry F