Hello Guest

What Portable Gas Grill Do You Carry Along?

• 13 Replies

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
What Portable Gas Grill Do You Carry Along?
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
We've had two grills over the years, both of this type which had un-even cooking.  We added those ceramic briquets which helped, but never really solved the problem.  Their only advantage was the easy-to-store size.

My wife said enough is enough.  Now that we have the PC2350 with nice basement storage, she found THIS COLEMAN GAS GRILL on clearance at Menards for $75.00, regularly $150.  To be honest, it's hard to believe this originally cost $150.  But it does have a circular tubular stainless steel burner to provide more even heating, and a cast iron cooking grate.  It also fits well in our PC2350 basement.  Now I have to find the perfect box to store it in.

I'd love to read what you all use.  Please include website pics like I did.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:23:35 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

Re: What Portable Gas Grill Do You Carry Along?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:45 pm »
Weber Baby Q Portable Gas Grill.

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:40:10 pm »
Hands down the  Webber Baby Q is the best grille there is for RV'ing!!  Webber is a superb company that stands 100% behind their products.  I have called them looking for replacement parts and they have actually told me that my grille was still under warranty and have sent me my new parts free of charge.  Made in America to boot!
Ron Goodspeed

glenncc

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 1/4/2011
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Desert Sage
  • ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:06 pm »
Does anyone use an electric grill?  I suppose that would work best for those who use electical hookups as opposed to boondocking so as not to drain the batteries.  So far I haven't purchased a grill and would be interested in hearing your ideas comparing gas vs. electric grills.  My first thought is that the electric grills would be less bulky and could be more flexible in where they were set up at the camp site.

Glenn
Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:09 pm »
I've been thinking about this one. Small and compact with a small wind deflector.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/coleman-tabletop-propane-grill/33286

billy
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

lmichael

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 15, 2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sterling
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:46:26 am »
I've used the Weber Baby Q for a year now, and am very satisfied with it.  It stores easily in the new 2350 storage area with the shelf down.  The Coleman would be a good alternate, but I prefer having a top that can be down during cooking.  The Weber heats up quickly, and the heat is uniform all along the grate.  I bought mine at Camping World when they were on sale last year--little pricey when not on sale.  I've found the propane bottles are cheaper at Walmart.

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:23 am »
Good point, never thought about the "Top Down" I do like a flame, we like ours charred. The Coleman just looked like it would store easier.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 12:45:28 pm »
I also use the Weber Baby Q.  Itís the only portable grill Iíve found that gets hot enough to grill steaks.  It heats quickly and evenly, and you can close the lid while grilling.  I have the Weber Baby Q, the rolling duffle bag to store it in, and the rolling cart to set it on for grilling.  It all fits easily in the back of our Chevy HHR tow car along with towing accessories, our Brake Buddy, beach umbrella & chairs with lots of room spare to go for groceries at Walmart.  Like anything you can buy somewhere else other than Camping World, itís almost always cheaper Ė usually at Amazon.
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 12:50:39 pm »
Yes the Coleman seems to be the best for storage reasons which is one reason why we selected it.  It seems to offer the same general benefit as the Baby-Q, but we have not yet used it so we cannot confirm it's claim to "even-heat" cooking.  The dome lid does make it possible to consider cooking a small chicken.  Again we have Zero experience with it to-date.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

mtownsen

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2010
  • Model: 2900
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »
We use the Olympian - http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/bbq-grills/stainless-gas-grill.htm
Stainless steel, flavor plate inside, comes in a nice carry bag that fits well into the rear storage container. Also grills steaks to perfection
Cheers - Mark T

pyrthkr

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 02:56:04 pm »
We have an el cheap-o, cast pig-metal grill w/collapsing metal legs & side propane bottle.  If I recall correctly, it was the most inexpensive model carried at Camper World & it fit in the outside rear compartment of our 2551.  No complaints & we/ve cooked salmon, burgers, elk (quickly!) taters, veggies, etc.  Looking for a small enough flat piece to insert & still be able to close the hood so we can do pancakes.
 ;)

NLK

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: Cherry / Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray full paint
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:48:49 am »
We use the Coleman that Billy included the link for from Camping World. We shopped around and bought ours on sale at WalMart last year. It stores good and I have a piece of cardboard that I enclose inside on the grill rack to help reduce the rattling while driving down the road. We have grilled steaks, hamburgs, hot dogs and porkchops with no problem. I found a plastic pan w/6" sides that fits the greasey grill rack and also for numerous other things for easy soaking and washing.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
After trying numerous grills I found the Coleman all-in-one-cooking-System ideal for use in the Cruiser.  It fits in the outside storage compartment and you can use it as a stove, griddle or barbecue grill. It comes apart easily for cleaning and works well as an outdoor stove or griddle in addition to a grill.
.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-All-in-One-Cooking-System/13848650?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13848650

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »
We ended up buying the Coleman table top from wally world

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/coleman-tabletop-propane-grill/33286

I could have it shipped to the store for FREE or to our home for $1.97, yup $1.97, I chose home, what the heck, it's only money    roflol :lol roflol :lol